• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Robert Haylock, transported

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I'll make the trip to the Archives at Kingswood one day before the end of the year. :)

It's too far to walk from the nearest train station and the bus that passes the door does not travel via the station. :rolleyes:

So walk, bus, train, walk, bus.

60 km and I don't have to change trains. :)

I'll have to check my 50 convicts and make a list of other films to view if I have time.

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I spent today at NSW State Archives.

BODLE Elizabeth - Asia 1830 42/1666 20 Sep 1842 Certificate of Freedom [4/4377; Reel 1012] TL 34/52

BURNE Mary Margaret 1837 42/1667 22 Sep 1842 Certificate of Freedom [4/4377; Reel 1012]

The images are in sequence on the film and no CoF issued on 21st.

So, Geoff, what does 21 Sep 1842 refer to. Is it a Ticket of Leave, a Conditional Pardon, a Certificate of Exemption, an Absolute Pardon or a Certificate of Freedom? If you have the image then please email it and I'll have another go next time I visit the Archives. I looked at the fiche of the Colonial Secretary's letters re convicts and no mention of Robert.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Not sure if we've seen this :rolleyes:

Robert Haylock
Date of Conviction: 21 Oct 1835
Place of Conviction: Cambridge
Estimated birth year: abt 1811
Vessel: Moffatt (2)
Port of Arrival: New South Wales
Date of Arrival: 30 Aug 1836

The image has a written note, looks like 'free something 1842 something letter etc'

If that is what it says, it would fit with the 7yrs he received in 1835.

Image 2 is an example taken from further down the page..
We need to make sense of that written note.

horse

Loyal Member
Thanks, Dave.

Had another look at this one, nothing new that I can see... there is nothing concrete for Robert after 1837 [general musters] apart from a possible death in Vic. 1863 that Gibbo found.. It mentions Ely in the record... As far as I can see there are no other Robert Haylock' b. Ely and d. Vic.

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
New South Wales, Australia, Convict Indents, 1788-1842
Robert Haylock
Date of Conviction: 21 Oct 1835
Place of Conviction: Cambridge
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Vessel: Moffatt
Port of Arrival: New South Wales
Date of Arrival: 30 Aug 1836
Ticket of Leave: No
Pardon: No
Certificate of Freedom: No
That is unusual in that is has 'No' for all three.

Anything in Police Gazette re escaped convicts?

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I thought the idents were on film but that says they are on fiche. Either way I'll have to see what else State Records has next visit. Whenever. I almost ran out of convicts to look up yesterday because I only made a list of about 10 of the 50 odd convicts in my tree.

Dave