• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Robert Newborn & Sarah Fletcher

I have a marriage for a Robert Newborn widower of finningley to Sarah Fletcher barnsley 2nd of june 1825 I believe Sarah was the daughter of Tobias Fletcher and was born barnsley 1804, the problem i have is i cant find a death for any of them and they dont appear on any cencus records, help required if anyone can help. Richard
Ps Merry christmas to all and a happy new year and a big thanks to everyone who has helped me over the last few years.

emeltee

Loyal Member
Hi,

The entry on the familysearch site gives the ages of both of them at the time of their marriage. Robert was 54 giving him a birth date of 1771 and Sarah was 44 giving a birth date of 1781.

There is an entry in the 1841 Census for a Sarah Newborn

HO107/1325/f14
Castlereagh Street, Barnsley

Sarah Newborn 60 Independent Born in County.

I can't find Sarah in the 1851 Census but have found a possible death on FreeBMD

Sarah Newborn Mar 1848 Ecclesfield vol 22 p103

Unfortunately I cannot find anything about Robert apart from a possible baptism 26/12/1771 Cathedral St Peter Sheffield father John. I'm not sure that someone from Finningley would go all the way to Sheffield for a christening though!

Hope this helps,

Emeltee

Thanks for that i have looked at the 1848 death which i think i will buy the date on the birth recorded on the marriage is slightly out but that would not be a major problem Sarah is the only child that i could not find a death for with all her other sibblings being buried at st marys barnsley, the baptism record says Sarah Searsha Fletcher born sep 1804 bap 26th of aug which must be the wrong way round parents Tobias & Elizabeth Fletcher barnsley st mary and the Robert Newborn marriage is the best thing i can find, just wish it had given her fathers name or her unusual middle name to be certain.

emeltee

Loyal Member
Are you sure you have the correct baptism record for Sarah. According to the entry on familysearch she was 44 when she married in 1825 and therefore cannot have been born in 1804.

Emeltee

Hi again my 5th great grandparents had 11 children as far as i can see we have accounted for all of them except sarah searsha fletcher her father was Tobias Fletcher born 1782 to 1841 her mother was Elizabeth Fletcher abt 1786 to 1860 the only tobias fletchers in barnsley at that time are all my great grandfathers so the births or baptisms have been easy to find as they all give the parents names and area, the first child born the year before sarah and the ones after that, that died are all recorded as being buried at st marys barnsley except sarah so the assumption is that she survived and the only marriage that looked good was to robert newborn in 1825

emeltee

Loyal Member
If Sarah was definitely born 1804 then I don't think that she is the same Sarah Fletcher as the one who married Robert Newborn as that Sarah was 44 years old at the time of the marriage and your Sarah would only have been 21 in 1825.

Emeltee

dochines

Valued Member
Although usually true you cannot assume the baptism occured when she was a child. If for whatever reason it had been missed or forgotten then it needed to be done before she was married in church. Often done the week before she or he was married. Also non Anglican churches some times performed adult baptisms. so the records could perhaps be correct?

dochines