• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Robert POTTS

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
Hello,

name: Robert Potts
event: Census
event date: 1841
birthplace: Nottinghamshire
record type: Household
registration district: Nottingham
sub-district: St Ann
civil parish: St Mary
county: Nottinghamshire

I'd like a look up please for the above also for a Robert POTTS in 1851 - address could be Stanworth House, Clapham road, Islington.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dave

Hello cp,

There are four Robert POTTS in Victoria and the draper from Nottingham, born abt 1810 advertised in The Argus in 1861 that his drapery business had been at 59 Swanston street for 10 years.

The one in 1841 in Nottingham is unlikely to be the one in Islington in 1851 but I hope you can find both.

Regards,

Dave

Hello,

name: Robert Potts
event: Census
event date: 1841
birthplace: Nottinghamshire
record type: Household
registration district: Nottingham
sub-district: St Ann
civil parish: St Mary
county: Nottinghamshire

I'd like a look up please for the above also for a Robert POTTS in 1851 - address could be Stanworth House, Clapham road, Islington.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Not the Robert your looking for.

Name: Robert Potts
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1810
Where born: Nottinghamshire, England
Civil parish: St Mary
Hundred: Nottingham
County/Island: Nottinghamshire
Registration district: Nottingham
Sub-registration district: St Ann
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 870
Book: 2
Folio: 8
Page Number: 8
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Potts 59
Robert Potts 31 warehouse m
An Potts 24

1851 you have a Robert POTTS in the other POTTS post.
I can't see a Robert in Islington.

cheers
cp
I

Hello cp,

Thanks.

I'm not so sure. ;)

Sorry if I confused you. The Islington address for London 1851 possibly a different Robert.

There are two different references in The Argus to a Robert and an address in London. I'm trying to see if it's one or two Roberts. One address Stanworth House Clapham road, Islington and the other address London Wall (the name of a street), London.

Can you see the warehouse manager still in Nottingham in 1851?

The Robert we are interested in is a draper born in Nottingham who had a drapery business in London and Melbourne. Robert and spouse are not listed with daughters Annie & Eliza in shipping record.

I'll try to find the London one again on FS. It's a Robert POTTS, a chemist with a large young family so no use to us.

We need PROV back up. :D

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Hello cp,

We are looking for these deaths - all should have father = Robert POTTS - mothers will be very interesting.

George POTTS married 1855 - eldest son

Eliza GOODE married 1855 - eldest dau

Charles POTTS married 1856 - 2nd son

Alice FINCH married 1885 - eldest dau

Louis Edwin POTTS married 1888 - youngest son

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Can't see the Warehouse M in 1851, only the Robert 1810 Nottingham you already have.

cheers
cp

Hello cp,

Thanks.

I'm taking a different line now. I'll go back to the idea that the 1843 marriage was Robert's 2nd later.

Regards,

Dave

Hello cp,

It's good to have confirmation from the death records of some of the children.

Robert is not with Eliza and Annie in 1841. He is with them in 1851 with spouse Mary Ann (IVENS) m. 1843.

I think he is back with his father and sister in 1841 after Susan died. If so then Robert's parents are possibly Robert and Ann MORLEY. Marriage 29 Jun 1807 St Mary, Nottingham, Nottingham.

Ann c. 21 May 1815 St Mary, Nottingham, Nottingham

No sign of Robert's baptism around 1810.

George Frederick and Robert Arthur both baptised on 24 Aug 1831 at Radford, Nottingham - mother listed as Susanna. Extracted IGI records.

All I know is that Charles at the time of his marriage in 1856 was called the 2nd son.

No sign of a death for Susan Sep 1837 - 1843 so it's possible she died in 1836 or early 1837.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
Back