• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Robert William Robinson

Edward

Valued Member
Hi

Could you look up Robert in the 1851 Census

This is his entry from 1861
Robert Wm Robinson head age 31 occ foreman shipwright born Deptford Kent

he Married Frances Sarah Bilbe in 1852 in Horsley Down, Southwalk, London.

I suspect he would have been working in the Bilbe shipyard at Nelson Dock, Rotherhithe.

Thanks

Ed

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Edward,

I dont know if this is anything, found a family named Roberson living in Deptford in 1851. Mother named Mary her age is a bit out as per 1861 census, but son William age 19 occ shipwright. Just thought as Roberts middle name is William.

Class HO107
Piece 1584
Folio 755
Page 25

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Julie,

That could be correct I have this entry in the 1841 census as a possible entry for the family living in Grove Street, St Paul, Deptford
William Robinson 50 Shipwright N
Mary Robinson 50 Dress? Maker Y
Eliza Robinson 25 Dress? Maker Y
William Robinson 11 Y
Mary Robinson 13 Y
Joseph Robinson 9 Y

The age give here for Robert matches with the date of birth I have for him of 1829 so not with the age of 19 in 1851. Do the rest of the Family match?

This matches with the fact that his birth place is given as Deptford.

IGI has a christening for him in 1837 which shows his birth as 1829

Thanks

Hello there,

I am descended from the Bilbes. I believe Sara Bilbe was my great-grandfather's sister. Her son, Thomas Bilbe Robinson became a prominent person. Here's his biography: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/robinson-sir-thomas-bilbe-8246.

He retired to the Kentish countryside, his house was called Redriff. My uncle William Bilbe named his houses Redriff! Historically, Rotherhithe was called Redriff.

Here's another Bilbe link. http://russiadock.blogspot.com/2014/06/yatala-fastest-of-orient-line-ships.html

Cheers,

Liz O'Connell