• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Rose Lilian Arber

On 19th December 1944 Rose Lilian ARBER, spinster, had a notice put in the London Gazette that she was changing her name to "SITTON".

Her birth is recorded, September 1905 Islington 1b. 167. I cannot find her in 1911, nor can I find her death under ARBER or SITTON. Any clues please? :confused:

Her marriage is given,
Rose L SITTON
Sept 1948 Islington. SITTON. 5c 2890.

I find it 'strange' that on latest census we have a Lilian and a Rose, both born in Islington a year each side of the birth date given.

ARBER, Albert Henry Head Married M 29 1882 Lamplighter London Holloway
ARBER, Harriett Sarah Wife (Married 7 years 4 children all alive) F 27 1884 London Holloway
ARBER, Lilian Dorothy Daughter F 7 1904 School London Holloway
ARBER, Ada Rose Daughter F 5 1906 School London Holloway
ARBER, Winnifred Eliza Daughter F 3 1908 London Holloway
ARBER, William Henry Son M 0 (7 MONTHS)1911 London Holloway

RG number: RG14
Piece: 834
Reference: RG14PN834 RG78PN29 RD10 SD3 ED14 SN29

Registration District: Islington
Sub District: Tollington
Enumeration District: 14
Parish: Islington

Address: 28 Andover Road Hornsey Road London N

note - I do realise Rose Lilians birth is also on BMD in 1905. It would appear she possibly changed her name as she was already living with her husband to be. Her marriage was recorded on BMD under both Rose L Sitton and Arber

Last edited:
Am I missing something or is that a different family in 1911?
I think the family I posted may be a different family. I just thought it strange that Rose Lilian had one of the names of the children Lilian Dorothy and Ada Rose, each born a year either side of her. Although there is a birth record for her, as well as the other two, I didn't find a census record for her.

ARBER, Lilian Dorothy Daughter F 7 1904 School London Holloway
ARBER, Ada Rose Daughter F 5 1906 School London Holloway