• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Royal Flying Corps - Wireless Detachment

Website
www.learningzone.biz
My father was a member of this unit serving at Ypres. I have a postcard photo of seven other 'mates' from the unit, but only have signatures on the reverse to go by. I think the names are: WARD, WILEY, WILLIAMS, WILDSMITH, WARTON or WESTON, WESTROM, WILDING (se attached). I also have a scroll photograph of the whole detachment if you don't find your ancestor here.

I know my father was involved in testing the Marconi audio communications systems - does anyone know anything about this unit?

Thanks - Joy

Website
www.learningzone.biz
Hi Julie - this looks facinating - thanks so much for the link - it will be my bed time reading tonight!

I can't tell from the link where you found this - was it Leeds, The Liddle Collection? This is the only reference I've ever found but didn't think anything was available online. It's on my 'Visit one day' list!

However, my father's unit photo is dated 1916, so he must have been in the re-formed unit. Any idea where I might find later info?

Joy

Website
www.learningzone.biz
Thanks for all your help Julie - I have Googled many times but with one difference: I only recently looked carefully on the scroll photograph and took heed of the unit's proper name - I think I've always thought and referred to them as the 'Signals' unit.

Your pointers have enabled me to find the squadron number for the unit, and from that the correct association page and more than a little bit about its history. I have emailed the association historian and hopefully he will be able to provide more.

You are a star - thanks again.

Joy