• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Salisbury Cathedral.

leefer

Loyal Member
In its final year of a twenty year restoration some pics i took today.

Below is believed to be the world first man made clock...no face but just a chime.

Below some of the stunning stained glass in the Cathedral

Below some shots of Yews in the Cloisters Green......fairly near to the Magna Carter treaty room.......not allowed photos at all of this.

Finally some shots from around the Cathedral Close.....for centuries the engine room of keeping the place running with the curate's workers and scholars living nearby.

It is hard to believe at times this is still run with normal services and indeed we got caught in the middle of prayers.
All Cathedrals are special but this one being in the heart of the county(Wiltshire) where i live make it special..........all the Wiltshire regiments are honoured here....also there is a bust of Richard Jefferies the man from Coate Swindon who wrote some special books on the wildlife and landscapes of Wiltshire.
Some incredible tombs and memorials which would take weeks to research and understand.

gibbo

Loyal Member
That Salisbury Cathedral is stunning. I still hope that maybe one day i will get over there tho it seems to be getting further and further out of my reach. In the meantime i will enjoy seeing England through your photos :biggrin:
Great photos Lee :)

leefer

Loyal Member
Lovely photographs but please ... Magna Carta.
They were very strict with that regarding photos......to see it though is amazing.
How it has survived is a wonder.

Saying that the cheeze scone i had in the restaurant was getting on for a thousand years old i reckon:eek:

duckweed

Loyal Member
Here is Lichfield and Francis Chantreys monument to a clergymans 2 daughters. It is said that Chantrey (born in Norton) was inspired to be a sculptor because of the Blythe monument and other monuments in Norton Church

Last edited:

leefer

Loyal Member
Really nice pics those....very under rated cathedral is Lichfield.

There is some old black soot stained buildings very visable in amongst the new buildings on the M5 motorway near West Bromwich being restored and i think they are listed scaffold and builders a many all around so i hope it is being saved......anyone know what church this is visable from the motorway flyover?

I must endeavour to find out.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
In one of Lee's photos there is a plague with

William Coberley
John Maundrel
John Spicer
who were burned at the stake

Does that mean they were actually burnt to death on a stake, like a execution? :confused:

edited
Its ok i googled it..............

ON a March day exactly 450 years years, three men were led from the gaol at Fisherton Anger to Bemerton Field, where twin stakes had been set up. The trio farmer's son John Maundrel, tailor William Coberley and mason John Spicer knelt and prayed, before they were chained to the stakes and burned to death.
As the flames leapt higher, one of them, John Spicer declared that "this is the ioyfullest day that euer I sawe".
Their crime was to preach against the practices of the Roman Catholic Church, and for this heresy, their bodies were consigned to the flames and their names to the roll of religious martyrs.

Last edited:

jay

Valued Member
St David's cathedral in Pembrokeshire is well worth a visit too. Set in a valley, like Tintern Abbey, it is still a thriving community. If anyone saw the BBC's recent production of Richard The Second, it was filmed in the nave.:)

jay

Valued Member
Between 1553 and 1558 over three hundred Protestants were burned for their religious beliefs. There is the Martyrs' Monument in Oxford to Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley where they were burned. Archbishop Cranmer gave Henry 8th his divorce from Katherine of Aragon so he could marry Anne Boleyn. Mary Tudor aka " Bloody Mary " ordered the executions as she wanted England to be Catholic again.:'(

jay

Valued Member
Re: Chagall stained glass.

Having seen the pics of the glass at Salisbury Cathedral I thought you might like to see the glass in one of our small churches. All Saints Tudeley is the only church in the world to have had all its windows done by Marc Chagall. If you go to: www.tudeley.org you can see the windows and hear how they came to be installed as there is a video link. Enjoy.:)

I got to go to service at Salsbury Cathedral this when over there in Sept. It was magical with all that colored light and gorgeous old wood carvings. I had coffee standing next to the Magna Carta which was of course locked away from sight but it was there just inches away.
I do have to say though that Eli is still my favorite cathedral.
But thank you for much better photos than I was able to take Lee. Oh and I did try to get into Swindon. What a lot of traffic! Next time we'll take the train. Is that the world's biggest round about you have there?:eek:

leefer

Loyal Member
The Magic Roundabout that is........i for one wish it would dissapear:D

I will be having the odd beer in the Glue Pot pub tomorow just yards from where your Kimbers lived...........odds on one or two of them set foot in there in those far off days.

http://www.hopback.co.uk/our-pubs/the-gluepot.html

Apart from the sawdust and the bigger selection of fine beer it is just as it was then.....i go there before watching the footy.

Last edited:
Now we definitely have to go back there. As far as my husband is concerned a real ale is worth the trip.
And for me, my grandfather is recorded as being a coach mender and so I suppose if things were done the same in his day he would have been carrying his own gluepot.
Lots of info in the National Archives on the railways and workers. I was able to trace one uncle all the way almost to his retirement. I was unable to find anything definitive on his retiring.
And I am assuming that the magic roundabout gets it's name from being a sort of Bermuda Triangle...you go round and round and round until puff you disappear?

leefer

Loyal Member
Correct......it actually stands on the old canal that passed the railway and almost certainly the reason why the works were there in the first place.......before the railways Swindon was a very small village(Old Town these days)with a great selection of small manors and farms around it.

Richard Jefferies is wort a google he lived at Coate on the outskirts and my hero of Swindon the Hammerman Poet called Alfred Williams(well worth a google) who wrote a book called Life in a Railway Factory lived at South Marston and walked the 5 miles there and back each day after an 11 hour shift at the works.

Alfred Williams book is a great read on the life your Kimbers would have had there

http://www.alfredwilliams.org.uk/worksoverview.html

The book can be read in full online on the link below.

http://www.alfredwilliams.org.uk/readfactory.html

Last edited:
Lee,
Thanks for the book rec. I have just read some of the beginning and it is wonderful. The copy online is actually held at the University of Illinois so I may be able to order it interlibrary loan. (I am still happier with a print on paper book.) So thank you so much for the recommendation.
Rune

joaning

Loyal Member
Thank for the Salisbury Cathedral photos Lee, what a spectacular place.
Salisbury here in Sth. Aust,the city I live in,was named by the founder, John Harvey, who's wife Elizabeth, came from Salisbury in England.
Cheers.:)Joan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Help for Names or Surnames 0
DaveHam9 Deaths 3
S Births 5
DaveHam9 Deaths 1
DaveHam9 1861 Census Request 2
DaveHam9 Deaths 5