• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sally Dorrell. c.1820

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Could some kind person try and find Sally Dorrell in 1841 please.

Solemnized at the register office. in the district of High Wycombe, Bucks.

Info on her marriage cert:-
Date of Marriage. 12/09/1844
Husband- William Stevens. of full age. Widower. Occ. Farmer. father John Stevens. labourer
Wife- Sally Dorrell. of full age. Spinster. Occ. ??. father William Dorrell. Farmer.

Both living in Meadle, Monks Risborough.
Witnesses. Thomas Dorrell, Ann Dorrell.

Also, could her given name be Sarah as they are apparently similar/same.

The age is a bit of guesswork.

Steve.:)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Couldnt see any Sallys but some Sarahs but as you say age bit of guesswork! Have you found them in 1851 as I've had a look but if they are there I dont know which ones they are.

Last edited:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Couldnt see any Sallys but some Sarahs but as you say age bit of guesswork! Have you found them in 1851 as I've had a look but if they are there I dont know which ones they are.
Hi Julie,
In 1851
William Stevens. 25
Sarah. 22
Rebecca. 3 daughter.
John. 27. Brother.

Parish. Monks Risborough.
County. Bucks
Reg.dist. Wycombe.
Sub. West Wycombe.
Ed.8c
House.37

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sarahs yob is given as 1829 in 1851.

The only one with a William is Sarah Darrell (looks like Darvill on census image) living in the civil parish of Ivinghoe male head of house is William occ beer retailer, this one dosnt look like a match, then the other one Sarah Dorrell born abt 1831 in the civil parish of Wendover, Swan Lane, Kingswood, RD Wycombe, head of house Edward Dorrell occ ag. lab, could the fathers name have been entered wrongly on the marriage certificate? or this isnt the right one.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sarahs yob is given as 1829 in 1851.

The only one with a William is Sarah Darrell (looks like Darvill on census image) living in the civil parish of Ivinghoe male head of house is William occ beer retailer, this one dosnt look like a match, then the other one Sarah Dorrell born abt 1831 in the civil parish of Wendover, Swan Lane, Kingswood, RD Wycombe, head of house Edward Dorrell occ ag. lab, could the fathers name have been entered wrongly on the marriage certificate? or this isnt the right one.
If her father William was deceased, would it say so on the marriage cert.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve,

Not always, they may have just been asked fathers name and occupation.
What about the witnessess do they give a clue. Just thought it may have been entered incorecctly as the grooms name is William. I'm probably wrong. :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve,

Not always, they may have just been asked fathers name and occupation.
What about the witnessess do they give a clue. Just thought it may have been entered incorecctly as the grooms name is William. I'm probably wrong. :)
For once the bride and groom have signed their own names on the cert Julie. as have the witnesses Thomas and Ann.
Sally has signed her name as Saalley Dorrell, that turns out to be the reason that there are 2 entries in BMD
I'll try a search for Thomas Dorrell and see what happens. I'll assume it's her brother. Not sure about Ann Dorrell.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve,

There is William Dorrell age 70 occ farmer in the civil parish of Monks Risborough, Meadle with

Thomas Dorrell age 40 occ farmer
Sarah Dorrell age 40
Sophia Dorrell age 25
Emma Dorrell age 11

On the same page is a

James Dorrell age 40
Sarah Dorrell age 35
James Dorrell ag6
Reuben Dorrell age 4

On the page next is a Cummins family and on the page after is a Stevens family in Meadle with quite a few children. The two older Stevens are William age 35 occ farmer and Rebecca Stevens age 35.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Julie, if I was knife I couldn't cut water. I am loseing the plot somewhere.:D

I think I/we mentioned all these people in the Ruth Allen thread.

There has to be a clue there somewhere.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: redf)

I think I'll print out the whole of the 1841 census for Monks Risborough and pin it on my wall. It's needs pinning somewhere else, but it might hurt.

Thanks Julie. I'm so glad you are here.

Steve.redf) :)

crankypants

Loyal Member
Hi Steve

Just came across this article and wondered if he was your William STEVENS. Since you seem to be doing it tough I thought I'd side track you for a minute.

DISTRICT NEWS
Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, July 3, 1880; Issue 6642
BUCKS MIDSUMMER SESSIONS.
Francis White, 24, labourer, for stealing two shirts and a pair of stockings, the property of William Stevens, at Monks Risborough, on April 28. – Ten weeks.

cheers
crankypants

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

Just came across this article and wondered if he was your William STEVENS. Since you seem to be doing it tough I thought I'd side track you for a minute.

DISTRICT NEWS
Francis White, 24, labourer, for stealing two shirts and a pair of stockings, the property of William Stevens, at Monks Risborough, on April 28. – Ten weeks.

cheers
crankypants
Yes Cranky, I saw that a while ago. He is connected, but I haven't worked him out yet.
So did Francis White get 10weeks in prison.?
Keep your eye out for more. As you can tell, I'm not that observant.:biggrin:
Thanks CPO0

watkinwitch

Hi, found S. dorrell, husband william in 1851 census - living in warwickshire England. Not sure if it is the one but it gives you another lead to go on. happy hunting.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve

DISTRICT NEWS

cheers
crankypants
Hi CP,
Yep this was my paternal Gt.Gt. Grandfather, which I have just found out.
The thieving little swine Francis White was a house servant to a family a few miles away in Little Kimble.
Why he wanted stockings I don't know. But all sorts of ideas are popping into my head, but I can't 'print' them.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
p.risboy Marriages 0
J English Genealogy Roots 9