• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Samuel Gunning

sandyjose

Recently I've been told that my 4x great granddad was Samuel Gunning born 1765 in Co Down.I can't find his wife or any information about him. His son,James,was my 3x great grandfather born 1785,he was a farmer so,maybe his father was too .I've never found any siblings of James,is there any way of finding this kind of information or is it too far back?
Any help appreciated

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Depends a lot on denomination and parish.

I have ancestors in Co Down who were Presbyterian and I'm stuck in 1830s.

There are several members here who I'm sure will have a look for you.

Dave

Elwyn

Gunning is a fairly common name in Co. Down. Here’s a link to a site that list 20 or so James and 5 Samuels. None dates to the period you need but they indicate how prevalent the name was.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/genealogy/SURNAMES/G/GriGy.htm

Not many Presbyterian churches in Co Down have records for the 1700s. A few do but just a handful out of 2 or 300 functioning churches in the 1700s. To make matters worse few of the surviving records are on-line. The most complete sets of church records for Co. Down are held in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to view them but without some idea of where in the county the family lived it’s a bit of a needle in haystack.

The surname appears to have been particularly common around Bangor, Donaghadee and Newtownards. They’ll be descended from Scots who settled in that area in the 1600s.