• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sarah Ann POOLEY, 28, Glove Maker of Ilford, living in Cambridge 1851

Sarah Ann POOLEY, 28, Glove Maker b. Ifford Essex (*not Ilford), in Cambridge 1851

According to the 1851 Census, Sarah Ann POOLEY, 28, Glove Maker, b. IFFORD, Essex, (****Edited - not ILFORD as originally typed) was living in Cambridge (??in Judge Passage??) at the census date. She had a lodger, Richard CLARKE, 19 yrs.

Who is this Sarah POOLEY? Was she connected to the Clarke family? Is she a relative?? My interest is Richard Clarke.

Does any kind person have this POOLEY in their history?

Thank you for reading the note. :)

Last edited:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

She may have just been a lodging house keeper or Richard just lived with her as a tenant for a while. She may have been a landlady. Have you tried looking for any Sarah Ann Pooley marriages at all in Cambridge or elsewhere?

Where was Richard Clarke born?

Ben

Hi Benny:
Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. I have not been able to find details for POOLEY - even when I looked in the Ifford, Essex information on births. Nor have I seen later details for her, although I have found 1861 Census reports for the same name but living elsewhere, and I do not know if that is the same one. So I am not any further. Yes, she may just have provided lodging. As I have no real firm information on Richard CLARKE, I thought (hoped) there may be some relationship by marriage, or this may have been his married (widowed?) sister, etc.
Thanks, Colin

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Colin

What info do you know about Richard Clarke? Do you know his birthplace at least? This may help you.

Is he a family member who emigrated?

Ben

Hi Ben:

Well, it's Richard CLARKE, my GGF, that is the brickwall.

See the thread http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=7460
and
http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=7450

I have been at this since 1979. :eek:

I know a good deal about Richard from the time he left England by ship in November 1856 for Australia, through his marriage, wife and children, and death etc.

But I have never been able to track his birth down, or his parents.

As you will see in the thread, I now have an interest in the 1841 Richard Clarke at the Workhouse (who could also be the 1851 Richard Clarke).

Just finding it difficult to get a fix on him, or his mother or father. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Colin

Last edited: