• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Sarah Ann Spencer - West Melton, Yorks

I've reached a brickwall researching a Sarah Ann Spencer, b. c1870 in West Melton, Yorks.

I see her in the 1881 Census [RG11/3352/90/6]. Addr: 10 Brewery St, Nottm.

I also see her in the 1891 Census [RG12/3716/110/8]. Addr: Brunswick Place, Morley, Yorks. Occ: ‘Woolen Weaver’. Staying with her sister, Margaret.

However, I cannot find a birth record for her, nor any trace of her after the 1891 census. I'm hoping someone else has a connection with this family.

Her mother, Sarah Hallam (b. c1826 in Epperstone, Notts; Married John Spencer, b. c1825 in Lambley, Notts) was rather old to be the real mother since she would have been 44. Since I cannot locate any record of the birth, it’s possibly her name was originally different. She could even be Margaret Spencer’s (her supposed sister) child from before her first marriage in late 1871. They were obviously close as Sarah Ann is with Margaret in 1891. The fact that Margaret cannot be located in 1871 might be connected with a pregnancy.