• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sarah George Tynemouth

Polash

From
England
I'm in a bit confused, I have Isabella George b 1863 on the 1881 census with her brother John Thomas b1861 , the census states they're living with Charles W Addison & his wife Sarah, the confusing part is Isabella & John are down as their son & daughter, this can't be right as their mother was Sarah George (widowed), I see her on all the other census except the 1881, I don't think she married again, on the 1901 census she was living in West Hartlepool, as Sarah George with her son Joseph b 1875, and her Grand children Richard George, Annie Brown Boyle (Annie is Issabella's daughter.)
Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Not sure where Sarah was in 1881 as I have not been able to find her in the Census, nor can I find son Joseph.

Son Robert is to be found at the Wellesley, a Training ship in Chirton RG11/5078/F8

Son William is a pupil at the Abbot Memorial Industrial School in Gateshead RG11/5040/F29/p6

The Addisons are too young to have children the ages of John Thomas and Isabella and I cannot find any family links. It is possible that they were looking after the George children and the Enumerator got the relationship wrong.

That's what I thought, isabella and her late husband Thomas also had a son Amos born 1859, so Sarah Addison way to young, I can't think who they are I'll have to start digging.
Thank you for your information.

That's what I thought, isabella and her late husband Thomas also had a son Amos born 1859, so Sarah Addison way to young, I can't think who they are I'll have to start digging.
Thank you for your information.
Sorry I meant Sarah & her husband Thomas, not Isabella.

Just looking at the 1881 Census again, I see that Charles Addison and his wife are living in Church Street. The burial in 1877 for Thomas George gives his abode as Church Street so they were obviously neighbours. The reinforces the idea that the Addisons had taken John Thomas and Isabella in as lodgers and that the Enumerator got the relationship wrong. I cannot find Sarah or son Joseph at all in 1881.

Thank you.
That makes sense, wonder where Sarah & Joseph are, I thought most people had to be somewhere on the day/night when the census was taken, albeit those out at sea.

They were supposed to be somewhere but you'd be amazed at how many managed to slip the net. There are a lot of people missing, and just as many down twice in two different places because peoprle just did not know/understand how to fill in the form.A lot of people were missed off because they were at a different address to their usual one eg visiting friends or relatives who didn't include them on the census form because it wasn't where they lived. Others were put down on the forms at the address they were visiting and also put down at the address where they usually lived, so got counted twice. Sometime I am amazed that we ever find our ancestors at all!

You're spot on, I wonder sometimes, wrong spellings of names, my Great Granda (Dad's side) it had down his occupation Blind person, he wasn't blind, unless he sold Blinds 😃, I was trying to decipher an occupation from the words blind person, this was on the 1939 index, I gathered the household had to fill the forms in and the enumerator copied them, so probably didn't understand his writing, that's if he could write.

Back