• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Sarah J Williams Ancestors ....

Hi,

I am looking to trace one of my ancestors "John Williams" who would be my 2nd great grandfather and the father of "Sarah J Williams" my great grandmother. I have done some research so far and am looking for a second opinion to make sure I am not going on the wrong track. This is a confusing one so please bare with me. :)

Here is what I know so far and how I have come about this information.

I have been told my great grandmother on my mothers side was born "Sarah Jane Williams". She married my great grandfather "Tom Buckley" and died when my nan was 7 years old which would be about 1936. She was supposidely in her mid thirties so born around 1900. My nan was born and raised in Widnes. Because Sarah died so young no one knows anymore about that side of the family apart from she did have a sister called Elizabeth.

I ordered a marriage certificate registered in prescot in 1919 between a "Thomas Buckley" and "Sarah J Williams". I know this is the correct certificate because their home address on it, which I am told is where they lived. It stated Sarahs father was called "John Williams" and occupation was "Boiler Man". Sarah's age is 20 which would make her DOB approx 1899.

I have got a 1911 census which states the following.

Address: Widnes

Name: John Williams
Relationship: HEAD
Years Married: 27
Birthplace: Burnley
Role: Fireman Boiler / Chemical

Name: Mary H Williams
Relationship: Wife
Years Married: 27
Birthplace: Bootle
Total chilren born alive: 8
Total children still living: 4
Total children who have died: 4

Name: Elizabeth Williams
Relationship: Daughter

Name: Sarah J Williams

1901 Census

Address: Bootle

Name: Mary Williams
Relationship: Wife

The following children are listed on it on it.

Ellen: 15, Mary H: 12, Letitia: 9, Elizabeth: 4, Sarah J: 2, David: 3Months

I have ordered Sarah Janes death certificate in 1936 registered in prescot which confirms this is the correct one as the person who reported it was "Tom Buckley" her husband.

I also ordered a birth certificate from 1898 registered in West Derby which is the likely the registry office for Bootle which is stated as her birthplace on the above censuses. It states her father is "John Williams" occupation "Marine Fireman Merchant Service". This may explain why he was not on the 1901 census? Her mothers name is "Mary Williams Formerly Peers"

Trying to continue the Williams branch I have found census documents with a John Williams born in Burnley around the same age and it shows a possible father of Edward Williams and a Mother of Ellen. Edward/Ellen appear to have had kids all over the country Burnley, Bristol, Newport ... they are in a different place every census. However in 1881 they lived in Bootle which is where Mary is from so could explain how they met?

Do I appear to be on the right track?

I have ordered a birth certificate for a "John Williams" from 1859 registered in Burnley which I have not received yet. How can I be sure this is the correct birth certificate?

I think I may have been better ordering a marriage certificate for John Williams / Mary Peers from 1884 to obtain Johns father?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Gareth