• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sarah Jaques born Marylebone 1819?

duckweed

Loyal Member
Does anyone have access to Marylebone records. Sarah Jaques is said to have been born or baptised in 1819 in Marylebone. Father's name is said to be Robert. Trouble is the sources I have this from have no back up evidence as far as I can tell. I'm not sure whether the year 1819 comes from her death certificate in Australia or age stated on the ship manifesto, or indeed whether Marylebone is simply where she was living before she stepped on the boat. If anyone could find an entry for her I'd be most greatful.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi duckweed

Is this her?

SARAH JAQUES

Birth:
27 FEB 1821
Christening:
04 MAR 1821 Saint Mary-St Marylebone Road, Saint Marylebone, London,

Parents:
ROBERT JAQUES
SARAH

Ben

bronhill

Re Sarah Jacques : 1818/ 1819. Death record has it she died 1894 in South Australia aged 75 and depending when her birthday was, would make her born either 1818 or 1819.
IGI records on Family Search do give a birth date as 1821 but the birth date is incorrect. The christening date- am not sure and could be correct as many instances where children are christened a couple of years after their birth.
As to where she was born- this has not been confirmed although on her marriage certificate it states she is from Marylebone - however whether born there is not proven.
The IGI again has her parents as Robert and Sarah, but FS site could be wrong again!!

Pallot Index Record has them married at St Marylebone in 1808. Also a Robert b 1809 and Ann Newman in 1829 @ same ( possibly their son given the time frame and his birth- also taken from SA records). They definitely emigrated to Australia as did Sarah and appear on ship's records.

I do wish sites such as this would make it clear that the records to which so many researchers refer ( myself included) may not be correct , may not necessarily in line with parish records or put there by researchers who have transcribed parish records. Rather they have been added by people who could well have obtained incorrect information from any source not verified

It's exceedingly frustrating that people grab info from the Mormon website and take it as gospel ( pardon the pun) then pass it on as accurate when many records have been put there by individuals without any verification. They just cannot to be relied upon as being accurate.
It is like the blind leading the blind!

Sorry Duckweed.. my turn to have a grumble!!!

Last edited: