• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sash significance?

From
Australia
Yay! I can finally attach the picture- note to all- Ipads are not compatible with attaching photos to this forum!

Anyway, here is a picture of one of my ancestors. the photo is circa 1900 give or take ten years but he is wearing his sash with such pride that it must have some significance. He lived in Rotherhithe all his life until he migrated to Canada.

Does this sash look familiar to anyone - or the medal he is wearing?

cheers in advance

Jo

Attachments

• G HJ Hubert.jpg
    G HJ Hubert.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 14
Hi
The sash reminds me of my father when he got all dressed up in his Buffs (RAOB) sash and 'medals. He was proud of them too.

Could be an organisation like them, Free masons, Buffs etc

dave

What is/was his name Jo?

The Masonic organisations are very well documented in England and if indeed it is an organisation like that then there may be some solid info someware online.

His name was George Henry James Hubert - he came from a long line of watermen but wasn't one himself I don't think. I am off to do a search on the watermen guild but nit sure what the PCN would be. The medallion he is wearing must also be something special.... Is there still a military form in this site?

Hello Jo,

I've not been able to find anything like it. I looked at some of the Freemason 'jewels' but nothing like that. I looked at English and even Norwegian decorations and found nothing.

Regards,

Dave

Yeah I am coming up blank too. I checked what his occupation was in the early part of 1900 and he is listed as being a steam engineer. I might see what he was doing 10 years previous.
I can't see why the railway would have sashes? I may check the newspapers to see if he had done something heroic???

Two things jump out to me from what you have already said about George Henry, these being that he lived in Rotherhithe and that he was from a line of waterman. This immediately set me thinking that he was a member of one of the dock workers/watermen union's. One of my great grandfathers was a member of the "Dock, Wharf, Riverside, General Labourers Union (Whitechapel No: 1 Branch)" and I have a photograph of him standing with others with the same style sash and same medallion hanging from his lapel as in your image which denotes him as being a committee member (the sash by the way is a light blue colour with gold stitching for the lettering that adorns it-one of my prized family finds which is laid out in a draw somewhere about the house). My great grandfather took part in the London dock strike of 1889 when for five weeks under the leadership of Ben Tillett the dockers held out for their extra tanner. So maybe George Henry was also a committee member for his union.

don.

Back