• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

scottish deaths prior to 1855

is there anywhere on line you can find information on deaths in scotland prior to 1855. the official scotlandspeople website just seems to have death information post 1855

lizanne

Dependant on what area you are looking at you may be able to get the information from Memorial Inscriptions some of these have been transcribed and are available online.

is there anywhere on line you can find information on deaths in scotland prior to 1855. the official scotlandspeople website just seems to have death information post 1855
Hi nightowl

I appreciate it's been a while since you started this thread but I noticed you didn't get very far with assistance.

Scottish records began to be kept by law in 1855. Before that the Parish Registers were the main source for births, marriages and deaths although they didn't always give a lot of information. Sometimes the names were written differently - depending how they sounded to the minister or whoever wrote them in the registers or were interpreted from the (not often educated) parent's given versions, pet names, etc. Some families were quite diligent about registering their 'activities' but, alas, many were not and it's a real minefield!

I have a copy of the latest version of the Fife Family History Society pre-1855 Fife Deaths taken from quite a number of sources. If your ancestors died in the County I would be happy to look and pass on any results.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Chiad,

Interesting, I have some Fife deaths I can't find. I have some Paisley, Renfrew ones too I've just about given up on. I will put the Fife ones in a new topic on the 'Deaths' board.

Regards,

Dave

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I am also interested in any Selkirk burials as my ancestor came from that area. I think FreeReg is asking for people to transcribe Scottish records though.

Ben

Interesting, I have some Fife deaths I can't find. I have some Paisley, Renfrew ones too I've just about given up on. I will put the Fife ones in a new topic on the 'Deaths' board.
Hi Dave

Send me a PM with your email address so I can send you full Excel spreadsheets of pre-1855 deaths in Fife (only) for the names you need.

It'll be easier than using posts here.

Regards

Chiad Fhear)

Hello Nightowl,

I recently found some pre-1855 death information on the 'Scotland's People' web-site. The site warns that the information might be very sparse, but those that I found (from Gladsmuir/Tranent in East Lothian), gave me the date of death, cause of death, age, date of funeral and type of mort cloth used (or cost of the mort cloth).

In most cases the entires showed such things as 'widow of', 'son of' etc.

Whether or not other parishes were as diligent in their record-keeping I have no idea.

I was fortunate in that most of the people in these villages (as they were then) were of my family so I did not spend money in vain.

Good luck in your search.

Hennypenny