• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Scottish naming patterns

emeltee

Loyal Member
Anyone out there familiar with Scottish naming patterns? Am I right in thinking that the first born son was named after his father's father and the second born son after his mother's father. Likewise with daughters the first born named after her mother's mother and the second born after her father's mother? How strongly was this adhered to in the early 1800s?

My reason for asking is that I have a Thomas McConnell and an Agnes Robison/Robertson having children in Kirkcudbright from 1800 to 1818 and they named them as follows in order of birth
James John Thomas William Janet Mary Alexander George.

Although I haven't yet found a marriage for Thomas and Agnes I have found their deaths. From age at death (to be taken with a pinch of salt!) Thomas was born c 1779 and Agnes 1777 the daughter of John Robison and Janet Donaldson. I am trying to find Thomas' birth and was wondering if his parents may have been a James and Mary, seeing as the first two sons born to them were James and John and the two daughters were Janet and Mary.

If they were sticking to the naming pattern who were William, Alexander and George likely to be named after?

Many thanks for reading this ramble.

Emeltee