• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Service histories for the Boer War

Nigel

Hi all

I am seeking any information on one of my Great Grand Farthers who served in the Boer War.

GNR Frederick William Kendrick 72453 served with the Royal Field Artillary in the Boer War and took part in the relief of Ladysmith and the battle of Tugela Heights. However this is all I know and cannot find any further details on his service history, regiment etc. If anyone knows how I can obtain more details or if anyone has details more details any help is gratefully recieved.

Regards

Nigel

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

The Military Service Records are a mine of info. They give name, age, birthplace, and often they give the next of kin. The also say how long they served for and what occupation they had before enlisting. They should also be able to tell you when he served abroad and if he was discharged to pension.

Ben

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

The next of Kin given could be the wife of the soldier or even the parents. If so, then their address will usually be given. They sometimes mention date of marriage and number of children.

Ben

Nigel

Julie, Ben, Sreve

Thanks for the ideas and links to other sources of possible information, I am new to the idea of tracing the family history so all help is gratefully welcomed.

You have all given me lots of ideas on where to look next.

Steve, Ben - All I know at the moment is his date of birth 13th April 1871 and born at 15 Blackburn Street, Hulme, Manchester. Three childern Daisy, Samual and Albert. I no very lottle about his live, his son Albert was taken prisoner during WW1 at the Somme, but I do not know of his death at present. It is all new to me at the moment, it took me a minute to find this tread again at first.

That he probably served in the 18th Battery is great information for me more than I new yesterday.

To everyone thanks for you help any more information is of course gratefully recieved.

Regards and best wishes for the new year.

Nigel

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Nigel,
Found a possible match for Albert Kendrick.

Age 19 - b.1896
24. Thomas St.
Rusholme.
Manchester.

Manchester Regt.
No.26307

It shows his next of kin as:- Mrs.Ada Hannah Kendrick (stepmother).

Do these details ring any bells.

Still looking for Frederick.

Steve.

Nigel

Julie, Chris

Julie, yes thanks that is Fredericks address in Hulme the details are a great help.

Chris again yes, Albert is my Grand Farther served in WWI, taken prisioner during the Somme at Trones Wood on or around 10th July 1916.

His Farther is Frederick William Kendrick who served in the Boer War.

Thank you for all your help very much appreciated, regards and best wishes

Nigel

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Hi,,Because new records become available,,i am reviewing all the old military posts on the forum.There is a record for Frederick William Kendrick now available.If you still require the details...let me know...regards GB:)