• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

service records

Hi
I am trying to find info on my second cousin's service record in WW2. His name is James Tolan b @ 1920 in Yorkshire and the family have always been told he was some kind of war hero?? Not sure how accurate this is. where would be the best sites to find out info on this gentleman (someone told me that you could only apply for service records if you were next of kin, is this correct). How would I find which regiment etc he served in.

any help and advise would be great

Ben

Hi, the cost is around £30 for his records but are free if the widow or the man himself applies for them.
Your problem is that you do not have a service number for this man and would suggest you look in the local history library where he lived to see if there is any mention of him in the local papers for ww2 time frame?

I did spot this man but no way of telling if he is who your looking for as no first name given? He was a P.O.W. WW2

J. TOLAN

Regiment: The Durham Light Infantry

Army No: 3131754

Camp No: 9C

Prisoner of War No: 1318

Record office: Infantry and Army Educational Corps Record Office, York

Camp type: STALAG

Camp location: Muhlhausen