• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Shall I claim them?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
In 1763 my ancestor Elizabeth Scudder wed John Guttree in Benfleet, Essex. She died in 1815 aged 72 in Leigh On Sea, Essex. Scudder is a surname found in Kent. Not surprised as Kent is just across the estuary from south Essex. Witnesses to her 1763 marriage dont ring any bells yet.

I found a few other Scudder members in Benfleet at the time, a John Scudder died there in 1806 aged 62, born c1744 (or thereabouts). An Edward Scudder and Mary Scudder died in Benfleet in 1764 and 1774 respectively.

I found an Elizabeth Scudder baptised in 1743 in Sutton At Hone, Kent, daughter of Edward and Mary Scudder. She had a brother called John born 1741. Also she had a brother called Edward and Richard Scudder.

When my Eliz Scudder wed John Guttree they named a daughter Mary Guttree who died as a baby. Another later daughter was called Mary. I descend from their youngest child Martha Scudder.

Edward and Mary Scudder of Kent seemed to vanish from the county of Kent after 1760.

Strong circumstantial evidence.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
If you can satisfy yourself 100%, then yes. But if not, write them in 'pencil', just in case.:)

Just because they 'fit', it's never conclusive, as I've just found out with my Allen side of my family. ???

So really, it's not for us to say, it's yourself you need to convince.:)

But saying all that, they look promising, so keep gathering evidence.;)

Good luck, and good hunting.O0

Steve.:)

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
It is hard when you have potential ancestors but need one more vital piece of evidence to tie it all in and are aching to find it. I am pretty certain it is the same family, much better than if she was called Elizabeth Smith. But it is just being certain.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
She will belong somewhere on your tree. I remember I had a Elizabeth Salvidge(RC)Father Joseph who married a Monkman .I followed that family as far as I could ,so had a lot on my tree. My friend then visited the Beverley Archives, and found this Elizabeth,s father was George. Brought her in as a sister of a gggran to me. Had to take all my Monkmans of and then back on. At the same time he found another 2 sisters .Will never forget how much he helped me .Don't discard them .Just thought ,have forgotten about Joseph's dau. Elizabeth, must have a nose around.

Ellie