• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Shall I claim them?

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
In 1763 my ancestor Elizabeth Scudder wed John Guttree in Benfleet, Essex. She died in 1815 aged 72 in Leigh On Sea, Essex. Scudder is a surname found in Kent. Not surprised as Kent is just across the estuary from south Essex. Witnesses to her 1763 marriage dont ring any bells yet.

I found a few other Scudder members in Benfleet at the time, a John Scudder died there in 1806 aged 62, born c1744 (or thereabouts). An Edward Scudder and Mary Scudder died in Benfleet in 1764 and 1774 respectively.

I found an Elizabeth Scudder baptised in 1743 in Sutton At Hone, Kent, daughter of Edward and Mary Scudder. She had a brother called John born 1741. Also she had a brother called Edward and Richard Scudder.

When my Eliz Scudder wed John Guttree they named a daughter Mary Guttree who died as a baby. Another later daughter was called Mary. I descend from their youngest child Martha Scudder.

Edward and Mary Scudder of Kent seemed to vanish from the county of Kent after 1760.

Strong circumstantial evidence.