• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Shanahan

Lynn68

New conundrum that needs some help...I traced the information given below regarding both the Carolan and Mckenna clans.

The 1911 census for the Carolan clan shows the usual info but I wanted to check with the 1901 census to compare...trouble rears its ugly head!!

According to 1901 census Richard Carolan isnt married - strange as the 1911 census shows as being married to Bridget for 17 years. The only record for Richard Carolan is a 35 yr old single male, and have tried searching for other family members with no success...very odd.

The Mckenna clan shows a little better on the 1911 census, although some ages are a little out from the 1901 census, this could be attributed to bad handwriting and transcription errors.

Any suggestions about the Carolan bunch? Thanks :)

Residents of a house 61 in Kingscourt (Kingscourt, Cavan)

Carolane Richard 36 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic County Cavan Labourer Read and writ - Married -
Carolane Bridget 29 Female Wife Roman Catholic England, Co Down - Read and writ - Married -
Carolane Myle 6 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Cavan Scholar Cannot read or write - Not Married -
Carolane Kate 3 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Cavan - Cannot read or write - Not Married -
Carolane Mary 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Cavan - Cannot read or write - Not Married

Lynn68

Thank you so much for the help, I hadn't considered variations on spellings...despite having a conversation with my brother last night about the exact same thing DOH!! :)

I did think it odd I couldn't find them now I know why. Its very interesting tho when I looked at the original Household Return form there is no E on the end of Carolan. Have just ordered the marriage cert for Joseph and Bridget so shall see if we've got the right people by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Irish Genealogy Roots 2