• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sheedy

gibbo

Loyal Member
Its ok i worked it out. Just a bit of back ground sometimes helps to go further back.

New Zealand marriage
1883/3518 Margaret Sheedy Robert Love Knight

New Zealand birth
1892/14153 Knight Violet Jane Margaret Robert

Press, Volume LVI, Issue 16892, 21 July 1920
DEATHS
KNIGHT —On July 20th, 1920 at Christchurch Hospital, Margaret, beloved wife of Robert Love Knight, of 230 Edgeware road, St. Albans. R.I.P.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Burials for Robert and Margaret

Surname Knight
First name(s) Robert Love
Date of death Thursday, 6 March 1941
Cemetery: Bromley
Date of burial Saturday, 8 March 1941
Block number 26
Plot number 30
Age 78 years
Occupation Retired Chef
Years in New Zealand unknown

Surname: Knight
First name(s): Margaret
Date of death: Tuesday, 20 July 1920
Cemetery: Bromley
Date of burial: Thursday, 22 July 1920
Block number: 26
Plot number: 30
Years in New Zealand: 40

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/cityleisure/communityservices/cemeteries/genealogicalsearches.aspx

gibbo

Loyal Member
I cant find passenger list for either Margaret or Robert.

I was hoping Margaret wasnt the only Sheedy on the ship with her and some other names might make it a little easier to find her Irish ancestry.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
There is this marriage in Kent that seems too early but it should be checked out:

Marriages Mar Qtr 1850
Knight John Malling 5 345
Love Jane Malling 5 345

I can't find any other birth reg in Kent apart from Robert with middle name Love.

No trees of any help.

Last edited:
arghhhh!!!!!!!!!:D:D
have just posted to the introduction thread on Dinkleman
then go to see who I can help on thre Irish thread and guess what you all beat me :(
well done yet again to Gibbo and Dave:biggrin:
Romany Rosex

Last edited:
Hi I have found a Margaret Sheedy in the Victoria Passenger list 1846-1899 arrived December 1876 Ship name Kent , State Victoria, category,travel and migration. collection Aust @ NZ , that would have made her 19, but the death record states that she had been in NZ for 40 yrs so that would mean that she was born in 1855 not 1857 as I thought and that would make her 25 when she migrated and 28yrs when she married and 37 when Violet was born as the print out of Christchurch City Council Cemetery Database shows her at 65 when she died so I am thinking that some of the dates may be slightly out

Hi Dave Robert Love Knight appears in the United Kingdom collections 1862 county Kent district Thanet I think he might be gt granddad I have a listing from bdm nz for a marriage cert Margaret sheedy Robert Love Knight ,Married Timaru 19 nov NZ

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi I have found a Margaret Sheedy in the Victoria Passenger list 1846-1899 arrived December 1876 Ship name Kent , State Victoria, category,travel and migration. collection Aust @ NZ , that would have made her 19, but the death record states that she had been in NZ for 40 yrs so that would mean that she was born in 1855 not 1857 as I thought and that would make her 25 when she migrated and 28yrs when she married and 37 when Violet was born as the print out of Christchurch City Council Cemetery Database shows her at 65 when she died so I am thinking that some of the dates may be slightly out

That isnt your Margaret Sheedy on the ship Kent.

Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923

SHEEDY BRIDGET age 28 DEC 1876 KENT
SHEEDY JOHANNA age 4 DEC 1876 KENT
SHEEDY MARGARET age I DEC 1876 KENT
SHEEDY MARY age 6 DEC 1876 KENT
SHEEDY MICHAEL age 48 DEC 1876 KENT

ok I am about to throw a spanner in the works!!:eek:
does the following mean anything:confused:
Lily Violet May Knight born Port Macquarie , 1893 died 1968 ,have found a marriage for her first name of spouse unreadable ,surname Gaul
but it says parents of Lily are Thomas Knight and Margaret Meldrum
(could Thomas be a relation to your Robert/could Thomas have been already established in NSW??)
Romany Rose x

Hello been a bit busy but I have managed to locate some info on Margaret , I now have Her Death cert ,and her marriage cert. Margaret Sheedy died on the 20 July 1920 in Christchurch Hospital ,Christchurch New Zealand. She was in NZ for 40 years ,She was 29 when she married Robert Love Knight in the Registrars Office in Timaru NZ on the 20 November 1883. Her parents names are Kate Sheedy and John Sheedy ,Kate's maiden name is O'Connor. I have found a Margaret Sheedy 22 Dairywomen in Papers past who arrived on the ship Boyne, captain John Kelly Sailed from London Nov 18 1878 arrived Lyttelton NZ Feb 27 1879 . I have Roberts death cert also ,he died March 6 1941 at 425 Hereford Street Christchurch NZ ,age 78 a retired Chef yet the marriage cert says he was a plumber, he came from Ramsgate Kent England his parents are Samuel Knight and Sarah Knight maiden name Newell ,I can't figure out where the middle name Love came from I thought it might have been his mothers last name but no.:rolleyes:

Re: Sheedy,Romany Rose

Hi Rose Just going back through posts and think you may have a thread , I now have Robert Love Knight and Margaret Sheedy marriage cert they were married in Timaru NZ 20 Nov 1883.What has caught my eye is the witness who is a T W Knight and I am thinking maybe Robert had a uncle or brother who was aready here .I think that when they came out here they spent time in Aust first before coming to NZ. Don't know but worth checking out I think .:confused: