• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Shipping

Hi all, Trying to discover how my Grandmother came to Australia from Scotland around 1907-1912. Are there any searchable passenger lists for this period?
Thanks, Dawn :D

pee wee

Hi Dawn,

What name are you looking for & do you have any other info as to where your grandmother departed from & landed.

www.findmypast.com Has passenger lists from 1890 - 1919 but you have to pay to view. I have a few credits left at the moment I could do a look up for you.

You could also try the National Archives in Australia they were very helpful to me when I needed my own immigration details. Once you know where she left & how the archives should have the documents.

Hi PeeWee, Sorry I put this message in the Irish Roots, I was having a look around there and forgot to go back to the Scottish Roots list.

My Grandmother was Jean Lamberton born Glasgow (Govan area) 1891.
I was told she came to Australia aged 16. She died at 43 and her death cert. states 27 years in Victoria. I know she met my Grandfather in Tasmania and they then came across to Victoria somewhere around 1913-1914. So not sure if she would have arrived in Victoria or Tasmania. I presume she would have embarked at Glasgow. Thank you very much for your kind offer of a look-up.
Regards, Dawn
:confused:

pee wee

Hi Dawn,

Sorry no luck so far. Searched from 1890 - 1914. only one Greenlees left UK during that time & that was a 25yr old who departed in 1891 from london - Adelaide.

Will keep on looking & get back to you

pee wee

Hi Dawn,

Certainly looks like she swam. :p By your dates she would have left in 1907 & it all adds up with the 27 yrs in Vic. & then it all falls in a heap.:'(
I still think you should give the Vic archives a ring if you can. I put a request in for mine & the nice man I spoke to here in Adelaide did most of the searching for me.
You could also search the Australian National Archives www.naa.gov.au
You never know they might have something on line for you. There is also a vic archives site but I seem to have lost their address. Will look it up & post later. :rolleyes:

Will catch you later