• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

ships leaving england 1910-1011 to Australia

tralad2

I am trying to trace George Henry Smith and Wife and Children who came to Australia 1910-1911
George was born 1883 Isle of Wight and his wife Emily Elizabeth was also born 1883
they married 1904 Emily was pregnant and her son was born here in 1911
any help would be really appreciated
Thank you
Tralad 2

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
:)Hi Tralad,

Marriage for George Henry Smith Junre 1/4 1904 Isle of Wight, also listed above him is a Emily Elizabeth Price.

Have found on 1891 census a George smith living with family civil parish Newchurch, hamlet of Winford, Isle of Wight. As follows:

no 4. Newchurch Road,
Cornelius Smith farm servant age 31 born Newchurch
Miriam wife age 29 born Beaulieu
George H age 8 born Newchurch
Frederick C age 6 born Godshill
Frank age 4 born Godshill
Alice age 3 born Newchurch
Arthur age 11mths born Newchurch.

Please bear in mind that there other George Smiths born in Hampshire around the same time.

igi index marriage Cornelius Smith and Martha Strickland 28-10-1882 Newchurch, Hampshire.

Julie

Tralad! ;D
I'm in Port adelaide which has a good maritime Museum. They have passenger lists of people arriving here by ship. Do you have a clue as to where they arrived ?

Michael White

tralad2

i would like to thank everybody for their help with the Smith Family,
i now know we have the correct family because we found the death here in Australia of Frederick Charles Smith with parents as Cornelius and Miriam,i do not know where George and Brothers and Georges Family landed in the ship they came on but i do know that they lived in Parkes. N.S.W.
i AM SO GRATEFULL FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE CENSUS
thanks againPATRICIA

pee wee

Hi Tralad,

Try a querie at the National Archives. We immigrated in 1959 & I needed my travel documents for some reason. I was 2 when we came to Australia. Took a bit of looking but I eventually ended up with copies of the complete passenger manifest & all the medical records & approvals attached to our application. If you try the NSW archives first as that was where they settled. We docked in Freemantle first , then travelled on to Adelaide. Put a querie in with as much info as you can & they will look to see what they can find for you. Or if you are close to a city you can try in person. I found them extremely helpful.

Good luck

angel24

I would like to thank everyone for all their help on my Smith Family
I now have the shipping records for George Henry Smith & wife Emily Elizabeth plus george's brothers & wives
your help was most appreciated
Thank You
Cuddles 24

Hi Tralad2
I've just joined the site and found your query on George Henry Smith. George's father Cornelius was the son of my Gt.Gt.Grandfather's brother, also called George b1823. I know George H and his wife had 2 children in the IOW who both died at age 1month and 2months, but have no information on their lives in Australia.
I found the ship's manifest and he sailed from London on 9 June 1911 arriving in Sydney on the ship Orvieto.
His brother Frederick travelled with him but I see you have him down as Frederick Charles, whereas his name on the IOWFHS site is Frederick Cornelius.
There is also a query regarding his mother's name as she is given as Miriam Strickland but his uncle Aaron (Cornelius' brother) married an Elizabeth Stickland from Beaulieu and it seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be Stickland also as I think they were probably sisters both having a father called Henry!
Hope you can understand all this jargon.
I go back with the Smith family to 1750 in the Isle of Wight.
Regards
Morecambrian

Hi Patricia I realise you probably know the info on my two posts, but thought I'd leave them just in case

Passenger lists leaving UK 1890-1960

Name: Geo H SMITH
Date of departure: 9 June 1911
Port of departure: London
Destination port: Sydney
Destination country: Australia
Date of Birth:
***: Male
Notes:
Passenger recorded on: Page 17 of 30

The following people are potential travelling companions from your search: -
Emily E SMITH Wife Housekeeper
Frederick C SMITH Farmer
Sarah A SMITH Married Housekeeper
William SMITH Single Carpenter

Ship: ORVIETO
Official Number: 129628
Master's name: W S Shelford
Steamship Line: Orient
Where bound: Australia
Square feet: 14984
Registered tonnage: 7421
Passengers on voyage: 854

dave

Last edited:
1911 census transcription details for: Little Princelett Farm Apse Heath Sandown
SMITH, George Henry Head Married M 28 1883 Market Gardener Newchurch
SMITH, Emily Elizabeth Wife Married 7 years F 28 1883 Housework Yaverland
SMITH, Frederick Brother Married M 26 1885 Market Gardener Newchurch

RG number: RG14
Piece: 5739
Reference: RG14PN5739 RG78PN261 RD93 SD4 ED6 SN31

Registration District: Isle of Wight
Sub District: Brading
EnumerationDistrict:6
Parish: Newchurch

Address: Little Princelett Farm Apse Heath Sandown
County: Hampshire
dave

angel24

Hi Tralad2
I've just joined the site and found your query on George Henry Smith. George's father Cornelius was the son of my Gt.Gt.Grandfather's brother, also called George b1823. I know George H and his wife had 2 children in the IOW who both died at age 1month and 2months, but have no information on their lives in Australia.
I found the ship's manifest and he sailed from London on 9 June 1911 arriving in Sydney on the ship Orvieto.
His brother Frederick travelled with him but I see you have him down as Frederick Charles, whereas his name on the IOWFHS site is Frederick Cornelius.
There is also a query regarding his mother's name as she is given as Miriam Strickland but his uncle Aaron (Cornelius' brother) married an Elizabeth Stickland from Beaulieu and it seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be Stickland also as I think they were probably sisters both having a father called Henry!
Hope you can understand all this jargon.
I go back with the Smith family to 1750 in the Isle of Wight.
Regards
Morecambrian
Dear Morecambrian,
I am really excited about your message, sorry about the Frederick Smith as we know it is Frederick Cornelius Smith but would be gratefull for any information you can provide especially on James & Betty Smith the parents of George Smith born 1823 married to Francis Young etc , we have all the information you need on the Smith Brothers & wives who came to Australia, George Henry & Emily Elizabeth had a son Kemp Sydney Stuart Smith born 1911 In Australia,

[Email address has been removed for secuirty reasons...]

we have photos and grave sites etc for these families in Australia
would appreciate any information you can provide
Thank You
angel24

p.s angel24 is my user name

Last edited by a moderator:

angel24

Message to Morecambrian,
I just added a quote to your message but not sure if this was the right thing to do so i am hoping you will see this reply,
I am so excited to receive your message and would like any information you can provide on this smith families, and we can provide you with photos, and deaths etc for the Brothers & their wives who came to Australia, George Henry & Emily Elizabeth (nee Price) they had a son Kemp Sydney Stuart Smith born 1911 Emily was pregnant on her travel to Australia, Frederick Cornelius Smith married Sarah ann Nichols, and Arthur William Smith married Ethel Olivia Woodford, they all died here in Australia,

[email address has been removed for security reasons]

and my username on this site is angel24
hoping to hear from you soon
Best Regards
angel24

Last edited by a moderator:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Hi Jacqui and angel24,

Angel24 i have removed the email address you post for security reasons.

Jacqui once you have posted on the forum 3 times you will then be able to use the PM system.[personal message] and you and Angel24 would then be able to swap contact details if you wish to safely via personal messages.

gibbo

angel24

Thank you everyone for all your lookups on the Smith Family,
and i am sorry for posting my email address, will not do this again,
we have had so much help from members and are really appreciative for all your help
Regards angel24