• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Shotgun wedding?! Kemp & Brook

Kempy

I'm going back through my family tree to double check everything and only just twigged that my great grand father was born in late 1889, and that his parents marriage only took place somewhere between July-Sept 1889....

Is the only way I can get the actual dates of his birth and their marriage by ordering the certificates?

The marriage between his parents:

Herbert John Kemp b 1866 & Florence J Brook took place at St Georges Hanover Square district - but to my knowledge neither had any connection there - so was that the place to go to get a quick anonymous wedding when you had a baby bump?!

My knowledge of the marriage process is almost nil - but I thought even then you had to be resident or have the banns read or similar for a period of time before the wedding?

They had the baby in London too, but then in the 1891 census they're back living in Ramsgate in Kent where they were both born and continued to live, so it's as though they only went there to get married and have the baby?