• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Shotgun wedding?! Kemp & Brook

Kempy

I'm going back through my family tree to double check everything and only just twigged that my great grand father was born in late 1889, and that his parents marriage only took place somewhere between July-Sept 1889....

Is the only way I can get the actual dates of his birth and their marriage by ordering the certificates?

The marriage between his parents:

Herbert John Kemp b 1866 & Florence J Brook took place at St Georges Hanover Square district - but to my knowledge neither had any connection there - so was that the place to go to get a quick anonymous wedding when you had a baby bump?!

My knowledge of the marriage process is almost nil - but I thought even then you had to be resident or have the banns read or similar for a period of time before the wedding?

They had the baby in London too, but then in the 1891 census they're back living in Ramsgate in Kent where they were both born and continued to live, so it's as though they only went there to get married and have the baby?

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Some people got married years later (in my family they did)
I think it all depended on how the family felt about those things, to go further you will need the certificate but not sure if there will be that more information on it other than the possible Church.

Peter

If I am correct, St Georges Hanover Square, became a registration district in early 1889. This may mean Herbert and Florence married in a register office rather than church. This could account for there being a bmd record and as far as I can see no church record.
London would be an ideal place to get lost whilst the baby was born

dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think the only change in 1889 was the county from Middlesex to London.

Created : 1.7.1837

All the areas in St. George Hanover Square registration district became part of the county of London on 1.4.1889.