• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Should I buy National Burial Index (NBI)?

I have many relatives that I would like to find graves and headstones for.
But on calling certain cemetery departments in Bradford especially, one guy always helps me out and does a search but sometimes the phone is answered by a less then helpfull guy who says I have to pay £30 per search....lol:eek:

Anyhow with that I have seen the NBI on sale, 2nd edition and was wondering is there anybody who already has it who could advise me if it is worth investing in?

My main worry is that I am not going to find any of my relations on there. I understand that one or two, if not more wont appear for whatever reason, but in the long run will it assist me? (And if anyone does have it, are records for the north of the country UK, accurate to a degree)?

And with that, not only helping myself would be able to assit others ;)

Many Thanks....:)

do you use vista?? it has some issues with that, I use XP and it is fine with that?? if you sling me a name and area pref bradford, and which riding it is in... i'll have a look and see how well its covered :)

do you use vista?? it has some issues with that, I use XP and it is fine with that?? if you sling me a name and area pref bradford, and which riding it is in... i'll have a look and see how well its covered :)
Oh what a good question, I didnt think of that:eek: , I do have vista but still have my XP....lol
Ok -

Mary Ann* Hampson, died 25 June 1897, AGED 64 Bradford, West Riding.
(*Ann is on the headstone but dosent show on the death cert)

Is that enough information, lol (I know the plot and grave etc, I assume you dont want me to reveal that, or should I then you can tell if it matches?) lol

Also how does it work?
Is there a search facility when you install? Or is it just one massive long list of info that is broken down in areas?

right, well the only ann hampson is showing as buried in 1898, like i say it isnt complete, but this doesnt give a Date of burial just a year and states that the cemetery is beckett st cemetery leeds..

it throws up a searchbox where you add the surname and then you can add the 1st name or leave blank. you also get the option to add the county and place name from a drop down menu and also search by birth/burial year... you will need the disc in the drive all the time you are using it, (I just leave mine in my cd drive all time..lol) I do wish though that it was more complete, but it sure beats trawling the BMD indexes, for possibles..

right, well the only ann hampson is showing as buried in 1898, like i say it isnt complete, but this doesnt give a Date of burial just a year and states that the cemetery is beckett st cemetery leeds..

it throws up a searchbox where you add the surname and then you can add the 1st name or leave blank. you also get the option to add the county and place name from a drop down menu and also search by birth/burial year... you will need the disc in the drive all the time you are using it, (I just leave mine in my cd drive all time..lol) I do wish though that it was more complete, but it sure beats trawling the BMD indexes, for possibles..
Oh No thats a BIG Family Fortunes Euughhh-Arrghhh lol;)
Ann was Mary's middle name, the death cert shows MARY HAMPSON, but on the headstone shows MARY ANN HAMPSON.
She is in Bowling Cemetery, Bowling, Bradford, West Yorks. Plot 254 Section E (Un-con I think)

If you get a moment would be nice to see if that info is on your index. But not to worry if it too much hassle, as I think from what you have explained will give it a whirl.
I like the sound of the search system sounds, like you say, so much better than trawling through BMD index's.

I have seen it on http://www.genealogysupplies.com/index.htm?product_filter.php?cat_no=8.ref for about £35-£40.
Is it safe to use this site or can you recommend anywhere else?

Many Thanks for your help, very kind and much appreciated O0O0

nope that cemetery doesnt show, sorry.

re the site you posted the url to: S&N genealogy, yep have used them in the past are ok :)

also have used 'My History'

http://www.my-history.co.uk/acatalog/National_Genealogy_Data.html#aNBI_2d2

I ordered my NBI from My History, was very prompt and delivery was next day (but then again I dont live that far from Sheffield)

But bear in mind that posting for xmas 1st class has passed, so praps it'd arrive after boxing day.

nope that cemetery doesnt show, sorry.

re the site you posted the url to: S&N genealogy, yep have used them in the past are ok :)

also have used 'My History'

http://www.my-history.co.uk/acatalog/National_Genealogy_Data.html#aNBI_2d2

I ordered my NBI from My History, was very prompt and delivery was next day (but then again I dont live that far from Sheffield)

But bear in mind that posting for xmas 1st class has passed, so praps it'd arrive after boxing day.
:eek: :eek: :eek: is that the second edition as well?

I am in no major rush for it and as I have done most of my Christmas shopping online, a few have gone astray from well known brands and companies due to Royal Mail, wether they eventually turn up is anybodies guess. I have a bunch of certs being dispatched begining of January so think I will buy it then when the 'mad' rush and backlog on post has cleared a little.

Thanks for all your help, forget a medal, its a DAME hood all the way....Dame Darkcrystal, has a good ring to it! :D :2fun: :kissu:

Yup,

second edition, not sure you can still get the 1st ed?

thing is you never gonna know just exactly what is there until you get it.. you can specify to search with name variants (ie not an EXACT search)

it does/has helped me though, as it pinpointed my 5xgt grandfather, that I couldnt find on ANY census, Thats cos he died in 1840 :rolleyes:

but you have to remember to use it as a guide and not a 'cut and dried' tool.

thing is, I guess its down to each others experience, 'dont know 'till you try it', and if I am able to give an opinion about something knowing that it might help or whatever then I will :cool:

Last edited:

AthenaLou

Hi dark crystal

wondered if u could tell me if the NBI covers East Ham cemetery in Essex in particular...and others in Essex as i have family all over Essex (East Ham, West Ham, Romford, Havering, Brightlingsea, St Osyth, Colchester) .....and wots the coverage like for London and Kent.......(Southwark, Lambeth, Kensington, Islington, Plumstead, Woolwich, Greenwich, Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Canterbury, Elham, Deal)

Ath x :D

Hi dark crystal

wondered if u could tell me if the NBI covers East Ham cemetery in Essex in particular...and others in Essex as i have family all over Essex (East Ham, West Ham, Romford, Havering, Brightlingsea, St Osyth, Colchester) .....and wots the coverage like for London and Kent.......(Southwark, Lambeth, Kensington, Islington, Plumstead, Woolwich, Greenwich, Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Canterbury, Elham, Deal)

Ath x :D
I live very close to these places, should you need pictures of plots then give me a shout, would love to help.

AthenaLou

Hi Mark
me and my other half came up to brightlingsea and st osyth a few months back.....we went to all saints in brightlingsea...i couldnt believe the mole holes in the graveyard!....that is a serious case of mole infestation!......and the ground there was so spongey when u walked on it!.....we're planning to go up again when the weather is better and i feel up to it to look for info on other ancestors as when i went up to the records centre a while b 4 that and found the marriage entry for my3x great grandparents, William Barham and Mary Ann Ward.....they were married at all saints, brightlingsea in 1830......their children were all born and baptised at all saints.....and they were all born on a house boat in rope walk, which is no longer there as far as i could tell.....i cant find any thing on William or Mary Ann prior to their marriage......dont know who their parents were or anything....huge brick wall for me.....census shows William born in brightlingsea and Mary Ann born in St Osyth.....(seems really weird actually, having ancestors from there....when i was child my parents used to take myself and my siblings to St Osyth every year for a weeks holiday.....and no one in the family knew that my mums family descended from there)......any info u could find on the Barham's would be very welcome......William and his sons were all mariners.....i suspect that William's father may have also been a mariner also but not sure

LJ