• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

side roads

laxdoc

Steve
Have I got on a side road. One of the old houses i guide at, ask me to do a paper on slaves at the site and in the area. Thinking this is going to be snap I said sure. I am now back to 1500 when the Spanish tried to set up a colony, with 100 slaves most ran to the indians. The Spanish picked a swamp to build in. After four more attemps, 1720 they got a town. The plantion was a land grant given in 1729. The 1st house built 1730"s/1740's burned down in 1849. The 2nd house, which guide at, was built in 1850. I have found slaves indian and african were on site from the 1730's.
Fun:biggrin:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve
Have I got on a side road. One of the old houses i guide at, ask me to do a paper on slaves at the site and in the area. Thinking this is going to be snap I said sure. I am now back to 1500 when the Spanish tried to set up a colony, with 100 slaves most ran to the indians. The Spanish picked a swamp to build in. After four more attemps, 1720 they got a town. The plantion was a land grant given in 1729. The 1st house built 1730"s/1740's burned down in 1849. The 2nd house, which guide at, was built in 1850. I have found slaves indian and african were on site from the 1730's.
Fun:biggrin:
Hi mate,
Sounds as though you are having a ball. That is one big side road.

Steve.:)

laxdoc

One thing I am finding is that as I look at land grants, deeds, bill of sales, and milatary records for the old house, I am finding new areas to look for my family. The early land grants were given with a lot of under the table moves. Certain families end up with more land than the Crown wanted them to have. So going back and looking at my family land grants now I understand some of the twist and turns. They used in-laws names and friends names to cover tracks to how so and so ended up 25,000 acres. >:D

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
One thing I am finding is that as I look at land grants, deeds, bill of sales, and milatary records for the old house, I am finding new areas to look for my family. The early land grants were given with a lot of under the table moves. Certain families end up with more land than the Crown wanted them to have. So going back and looking at my family land grants now I understand some of the twist and turns. They used in-laws names and friends names to cover tracks to how so and so ended up 25,000 acres. >:D
That practice still goes on today over here. If there is a system to be 'worked', there is always a person to take advantage of it.

laxdoc

Steve
have family Moore who were Indian fighters who even if the Indians were peaceful killed and enslave them. Any relations?>:D They came out of Irland and end up with ove 100,000 acres in 1729 North Carolina. Maurice Moore claimed land that the new Governor also claimed, Maurice settled out of court, he told the Gov. you set foot on my land I will blow your hear off. The gov went away, smart man.;)
Charles

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve
have family Moore who were Indian fighters who even if the Indians were peaceful killed and enslave them. Any relations?>:D They came out of Irland and end up with ove 100,000 acres in 1729 North Carolina. Maurice Moore claimed land that the new Governor also claimed, Maurice settled out of court, he told the Gov. you set foot on my land I will blow your hear off. The gov went away, smart man.;)
Charles
Good man that Maurice. I would imagine that I have Moores from Ireland, but would be back to the very early 1800's if there is.:)