• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

silverdale/burslem

been looking for the birthplace of a jane matthews born abt 1849 in silverdale heres where im stuck, is this staffordshire or lancashire as i keep getting diffrent places coming up on the searches, anyone know this area and maybe the registration districts as i cannot find her but came across an 1851 census that i think maybe her but the family is in burslem which is very close by, but on all the census and records i have for jane silverdale is given as the place of birth where on this return her dob is given as burslem. suex

duckweed

Loyal Member
Burslem is Stoke on Trent
Silverdale is Lancaster so don't know how they could get confused unless Burslem is a misspelling for somewhere else.
What is the family occupation?

sorry dont know, this is the problem, know all about this family after 1881 before that ziltch. see my noah post. what im trying to establish is what area jane matthews and george webb where in so that ;
A. i can find the marriage
B can establish why they moved around so much
C. find george and janes familys

george webb on all census returns birthplace is given as worcester
jane,s is silverdale, when they moved to cowpen in northumberland george is listed as a cartman, but by the time he came to hartlepool in 1901 he was working as a telephone engineer acccording to his daughters baptism record. their first child was born in hednesford litchfeild so have been looking for a marriage in that area, but looking at maps hednesford is quite a way from silverdale , so was jane in that area and not in silverdale with her family? when she got married and had her first baby,.what a mystery suex

duckweed

Loyal Member
Why I was asking occupation was because I was wondering about canal people because it could then be Silverdale and Burscough which although not next door to each other they are both lancashire and boat peoples birthplaces can get very mixed up.

duckweed

Loyal Member
When I look up Jane Matthews, the Jane Matthews in Burslem is Jane A Matthews. The Jane Matthews in Silverdale is born 1851. So can't match up your entries at all. Can you tell me what you have exactly?

Website
www.duncanbourne.co.uk
Burslem is the mother town of Stoke-on-Trent and early on fell under the Parish of Wolstanton, under which records are sometimes listed.

There is a Silverdale but that is on the otherside of Newcastle-u-Lyme, close to Keele University, It would fall under the Parish of Newcastle or earlier on the larger parish of Stoke-upon-Trent or may be Wolstanton

duckweed

Loyal Member
This could be what happened to me with an ancestor. She was born one area and baptised another, so even though there is a distance between it is not that far so I would stick with Staffordshire for her.

sorry duckweed but i have nothing on jane at all, other than what i have found on the census i took the date of birth from her death records.and her maiden name from her daughters birth certificate, so i know that jane matthews is correct and also the dob within a year or so.she is listed as born silverdale on all census returns including the 1911 suex .ps thanks for your help.

Hi duck, been having a look round some stuff and looks like there is only 1 silverdale in england the lancashire one. not much help to me at the moment, but im going to have a good look tonite see if i carnt come up with something thanks again for your help suex:)

Ellie

Loyal Member
Hi duck, been having a look round some stuff and looks like there is only 1 silverdale in england the lancashire one. not much help to me at the moment, but im going to have a good look tonite see if i carnt come up with something thanks again for your help suex:)
Hi
There is a Silverdale in Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire.:) Did you ever find the information you were looking for?