• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

SIMSON family

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

James Henry SIMSON b. 11 Jun 1848 Barony, Lanark, Scotland
- parents Henry SIMSON & Agnes BARBOUR

I'd like a look up for the family in 1851 please. Possibly under SIMPSON.

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello,

The Sydney Morning Herald - Friday 26 August 1881
MARRIAGES
SIMSON-WARK.-August 23, at Avoca, Bathurst, by the Rev. A. C. Geokie, D.D., James Henry, only son of Henry Simson, Esq., The Mains, Helensburg, N. B., to Mary, eldest daughter of J. N. Wark, Esq., Avoca, Bathurst.

There is a Helensburgh in NSW south of Sydney but I can't think what N. B. would be. I have not found any of the SIMSON family in shipping records yet so I can't be sure if it's NSW or Scotland or New Brunswick :confused:

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Dave,

Have you found James on any other census. The only one that I could find with father Henry was 1861, mothers name Margaret not Agnes. Henry's occ was given as dry goods importer.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Julie,

Thanks for looking. I will go back to the newspaper and check what it says. It's faded but it does say 'The Mains' ;) so probably a typo or error.

No, I have no census listings at all. Agnes could be an error. Or he remarried. The death reg has father = Henry and no mother listed.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Julie,

So it's possible this is the birth of a different person:

James Henry SIMSON b. 11 Jun 1848 Barony, Lanark, Scotland
- parents Henry SIMSON & Agnes BARBOUR

I know this one is right:

Mary WARK b. 20 Nov 1849 Gorbals, Lanark

Regards,

Dave

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Julie,

Henry SIMSON & Margaret HASTINGS 29 DEC 1865 Old Monkland, Lanark

That's after 1861. :D

I need new bait for my next fishing trip. :2fun:

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Julie,

One more curious fact. Mary WARK's youngest brother born abt 1864 -many years before the 1881 marriage to SIMSON - was named Henry Simson WARK. :eek:

The Sydney Morning Herald - Friday 26 July 1929 p.12
DEATH OF MR. H. S. WARK. BATHURST, Thursday.
Mr. Henry Simson Walk, orchardist, for several years president of the Bathurst Fruit-growers' Association, died at his residence White Rock, aged 65 years...

Regards,

Dave

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
There is an age gap between John and sister Harriet. Familysearch have a birth for a Harriet Simson 1859 Govan, father Henry Simson, mother Margaret Mcaslan. There is a Margaret Mcaslan born abt 1831 Glasgow. Other daughter Mary Simson mother is given as Agnes Barbour, father Henry Simson.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Julie,

Thanks.

So that birth is probably correct and Henry remarried.

I wonder if he took his family to America. ?

Regards,

Dave

I have all this info and more re the Simsons and Warks. Mary Wark m James Henry Simson are my g-g-grandparents. I have done a lot in the last few days! Can exp[lain the Agnes/Margaret situation. Email me on ... and I will explain....poss too much for here.
Sally Slade (grandmother Edyth Hawkins nee Simson!)

Email address removed for security reasons as per site policy.

Please pass all such private details via a Personal Message.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hello Sally,

welcome to FHUK.

Thanks. I will contact you soon after I've refreshed my mind with this branch of my tree.

Regards,

Dave

Sally

Hi Dave - Look forward to hearing from you. A bit busy this week as am involved with local elections but have a few spare moments! Did not realise my email would be blocked on the site but apparently you can send a personal message??
Speak soon,
Sally