• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

SIMSON family

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply .i found this link to Sally Slade from 2011 .Did you remember ever hearing Sally'sexplanation. I know it was a while ago.Thanks again.

Hi - I am descended from James Henry Simson and Mary Wark. Their first child was my great grandfather. I have gone further back and can answer questions if you have them! I have an extensive tree on ancestry dot com. How are we related Hulbert? Sally x

OK, here goes. Most of this was from Scotland's people website.
Henry Simson was born in Barony, part of Glasgow, 15.5.1818. He is on the 1841 census in Barony. In 43 he married Agnes Barbour in Glasgow. This is on the IGI. Children Mary (1846) and James Henry (1848 ) were born to them.
I cannot find a death for Agnes but it was by 1850; it may have been in child birth. She is NOT with them on the 1950 US census when they are in Brooklyn Ward, Kings, NY; Henry with two children and his brother Francis (sometimes mis-written as Serancis!).
In 1855 Henry m Margaret McAslan at 117 High Campbell St., Glasgow.They have a daughter Harriet who dies young. In 61 and 71 they are in Govan (Glasgow). In 81 they are in Dumbartonshire - at The Mains, Queen St, Helensburgh. This is a huge house in one of the poshest roads in Helensburgh. Find it on google street view! Henry has retired and must have made pots of cash. His will is very boring though. His father died in 1844 and his will is splendid!
What more do you want to know? Sally xx:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sally, James Henry Simson was my great grandfather too. One of his sons Frank William Simson was my father(William Simson's) father. Obviously Hulbert is my married name. My father remembers your grandmother Edyth and your father as a little boy. We would love to see that family tree! We also have some photos.Do you? I will try and find you on another social network. Such an exciting day for us both!

Hi there cousin! I do not know what your actual name is but I am so poleased to have made contact. I am also in contact with Helen Ghent in Australia who is the grandaughter of Mary Elma Simson; she was the yongest sister of Frank William and Henry John Simson. I think you need to send me a private message and then we can connect outside this message board and then I can invite you to view my tree. I will try and do a private message.......

Or you might find my tree on ancestry dot com as Hawkins Gough 2013; that is worth a try. I am in England - Lincolnshire, to be precise - but the rest of the family are around Kent, Surrey and Sussex. I love the fact that your father remember my dad as a little boy - he is 71 now! How old is your dada? I did not have any children for Frank W - he was a famous doctor, I discovered, as I am sure you know!

Anyway, I will try the prvate message thing now and see how it goes. Love, Sally Slade (nee Hawkins)

Back