• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Singapore

joejoerey1

Hi i have been helping my wife trace her family history and her Grandfather was born in Singapore just before WW2 is there away to find his birth details. If he was born to British parents would his birth be registered anywhere in the UK???

I've been having similar problems tracing my grandmother who was born in hong kong, no luck yet but i have found a few sources of information which may be helpful to you.
http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10346 is a forum for chinese history, there may be someone on there who can direct you towards where chinese records are held. I have been told that several records were lost due to bombing in ww2, but there may well still be something available.
If the gentleman in question moved to the uk then there is a chance that his birth details were recorded when he entered the country, have you searched passenger lists for him and found his documents relating to entry to the uk? they could provide information which would help you to pin down his singapore records.
also if he was not born to british parents then he would have had to apply for naturalisation or citizenship or something similar, which would produce a whole load of documents which may well survive somewhere in the uk, perhaps home office records?

hope this helps
Jon

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E WWII Ancestry 0