• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

SLATER family

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sarah Slater c. 31 Jul 1825 Pulborough, Sussex
- parents John Slater & Lois

Deaths Sep Qtr 1848
Slater Lois Thakeham 7 324

I'd like a look up please for the family in 1841.

1841 England Census

Name: Sarah Slater

Hundred: West Easwrith
County/Island: Sussex
Registration District: Thakeham
Sub-registration District: Pulborough

Piece: 1092
Book: 7
Folio: 18
Page Number: 2

William Greenfield 15 ms
Sarah Slater 15 fs

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks dave.

Any sign of her mother Lois in 1841?

This is one of 2x Sarah SLATERs born abt 1826 I'm chasing. I hope eventually to find one in England in 1851 and not find the other because one married in NSW in 1849. Pob and parents unknown, only age at death so not much to work with.

Dave

horse

Loyal Member
Hi Dave

Going round in circles in this one, but this keeps popping up, not sure if it helps:

Thakeham Workhouse:
Civil Parish: Thakeham
Hundred: East Easwrith
County: Sussex
RD: Thakeham
Sub-RD: Washington
HO107; Piece: 1096; Book: 3; Folio: 31; Page: 3

Sarah Slater 14 [b. Sussex]

Included on the image:
Eliza Slater 40
(Possibly) Luisa Slater 15
Sarah as above
John 7
George 2
All BIC

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks Geoff.

So we have two about the same age born Sussex.

I think it's a lost cause. All I have is a name and born abt 1826. I assumed Sussex just to keep the number down to I thought one. :biggrin:

There are too many born in England around 1826 so we are stuck. All the trees that have the marriage and death in Australia for the Sarah I'm after have no pob or parents or arrival vessel.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Wesleyan Marriages in Goulburn Circuit
Owen Furner
Sarah Slater
1 Jan 1849 at Goulburn By me William Lightbody
Witnesses: Charles Furner of Goulburn & Charles (his x mark) Wiggins of Goulburn

V18551130 110/1855 FURNER SARAH AGE 29

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 23 May 1855 p.8
DEATHS
On Friday, the 18th of May, at her residence, Goulburn, in her 29th year, Sarah, the beloved wife of Mr. Owen Furner, her death is deeply deplored by her family, and severely felt by a numerous circle of friends.

Owen was from Sussex.

horse

Loyal Member
I can't see a birth for George, but there is a William:

Births Q3 1839
Slater William
Thakeham
7 417

There are other possibilities in the locality, but this fits age/date/area.

Geoff

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I can't see a Sarah who fits in shipping records.

It was an outside chance of finding one born 1826 Sussex in 1841 and not finding her in 1851.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, and lots in other parts of England.

Did Owen marry someone who had the same accent? :biggrin: I can't assume Sarah was also from Sussex.

Still, I thought considering her age at death that it was possible to find her birth in Australia or her arrival.

Hi - researching same elusive Sarah Slater. Have had same issues in trying to 'identify'. Left me wondering if she was possibly a "local" girl from Goulburn/Yass? Were there any penalties for not registering a birth in ca 1826 in colonial NSW? Perhaps she was of mixed parentage or from other ethnic background? (I only suggest this due to the lack of any evidence thus far in immigration/indexes/parish records able to be searched etc). Oh, and because we have pictures of her daughters who had rather dark complexions for girls who were always in hats etc (my grandfather and aunt have very deep olive skin tone and have features that have triggered others to ask where they where from originally). Just a thought....:D

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think no one will ever know about Sarah's origins.

I have a picture of my great great grandfather and his daughter and they both have very curly hair leading someone to say they had to be Jewish. Nothing I have found points to that being true. People will read in what they like based on very little evidence.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Suspect you are correct re Sarah! A mystery!

Mum had her DNA tested (via Ancestry) and was rather surprised to find out (apparently) she has 94% western european ancestry and 6% middle eastern ancestry.

Thanks
Timna