• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Smyths of Ulster

Edward

Valued Member
Hi Thomas,

I am also interested in Belfast family history.

I have managed to track down my Great Grandfather through the Belfast Directories on line so I know where they lived.

1890 Belfast Street Directory
Cumming, Thomas, Bookbinder, 34 Pine St

1895 Belfast Street Directory.
Cummings, Thos., Bookbinder, 52 Portallo St

1896 Belfast Street Directory.
Cummings, Thos., Bookbinder, 52 Portallo St

1897 Belfast Street Directory.
Cummings, Thos., Bookbinder, 42 London St

1900 Belfast Street Directory.
Cumming, T., Bookbinder, 5 Titania street

1907 Belfast / Ulster Street Directory
Cumming, T., bookbinder, 5 Titania Street

So looking at the directories has been quite productive I expect that they would not be as good for some one with a common name but there is only one Thomas Cumming listed and I know he was a bookbinder.

I have found that finding information about my Belfast Family has been harder than others I am looking for.

When I find a good source of information I have added a post to this site with the link in it.

Ed

Dear Christopher,

Alexander Smyth, my great grandfather, married Jane Downes of Ballyclough on 26 May 1873 in Coleraine. The marriage record shows he was living at that time in Drumcroon, and that his father’s name was William.

I believe the 1901 Census shows John Smyth as living with his brother, Alexander, at which time John’s age is given as 58 years.

Presuming John was William’s first-born, William would have been born say around 1823 and married around 1843 – both events probably close to Drumcroon.

I think I need a record of Alexander’s (or possibly John’S) birth showing the name of both of his parents so that I can then search for a marriage record for William.

I have searched Irish Genealogy and IGI sites without success.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Thomas

Dear Ed,

We lived in Belfast from aboput 1943 - 1950, but the Smyths in my line are from around Coleraine (as far as I know to date).

My parens migrated to Australoia, and I recal they knew a Greorge Cummings (I think).

Thomas