• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sometimes there are ways around brick walls

gibbo

Loyal Member
I needed a Queensland marriage cert but it appeared i couldnt obtain a copy due to

Any person is eligible to receive a copy of a person’s marriage certificate if the marriage occurred more than 75 years ago. This type of marriage certificate is known as a historical marriage certificate.

I was 3 years short of the 75 year rule so it would seem:rolleyes: And i needed that cert. to be able to continue on with it, without it i was at a dead end.

BUT this couple had a Matrimonial Petition file in the QLD archives which i can obtain after 30 years of the date of the petition so we bought a copy of that and there was a copy of the marriage cert. in the file:biggrin: We got the file which was so full of info and the marriage cert filled out perfectly as well all for around the same price just the cert. would have cost on its own.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
In 99 years I can view what I put in the census on Tuesday night. :2fun:

It's crazy how the different states in Australia have different blackout periods for births, marriages and deaths. Deaths in Qld. go to 1964 and in NSW to 1980, for example.

gibbo

Loyal Member
In 99 years I can view what I put in the census on Tuesday night. :2fun:

It's crazy how the different states in Australia have different blackout periods for births, marriages and deaths. Deaths in Qld. go to 1964 and in NSW to 1980, for example.

Its downright stupid how the different states work it:mad: Never mind i got what i wanted:biggrin:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The NSW Historical Index server is so overloaded they have removed the * wildcard search option to reduce the load on the server.

They have also increased the price (the discounted price if you supply the ref number) but have not increased the price if they have to search. :2fun: They should have increased the discount for the extra frustration users experience finding what they want.

I wonder how the server will cope next year when 1981 is added to deaths. Perhaps they will line up with Qld. and remove all the 1965-1980 deaths. :rolleyes: That should reduce the load on the server.

gibbo

Loyal Member
I dont understand how i couldnt buy the marriage cert. cause of the rule thing yet i could get a copy of it in the matrimonial file:confused: It turned out better this way anyway but just makes one wonder how the archives can produce a copy of it why not the BMD:confused:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
The rules are weird.

I was in the Mitchell Library in Sydney recently looking at the index for the films of the old parish registers in NSW. Some records in the 1920s and 1930s have been filmed, I suppose they just took a register and filmed the whole book without thinking of the dates. Now the Anglican Diocese of Goulburn has restricted everything after a certain date making some films now restricted even though HALF the film is before the cutoff date.

They are not going to splice films so it means the first half of the film won't be available until the WHOLE film is free to view. :rolleyes:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yet they are reluctant to release the 1921 census early despite releasing BMD indexes up to 2005 and latest electoral rolls and Zoopla where you can get the value of anyone's house and latest sale dates.