• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sorry to ask but i think i have gone wrong!!

Hello again and i'm sorry to ask but i think i have gone wrong with a name and now i am banging my head of the walls.
My Great Grandfather GEORGE JAMES HUBBARD born 1875 in Great Yarmouth Norfolk married(this is where i'm banging my head) a CATHERINE GOATE born in 1877 in Great Yarmouth but on some CENSUS it say her name as CATHERINE CARMICHAEL GOATE.
If i look up the marriage as Catherine Goate it say she married George Hubbard 1895 BUT if i put the full name in it say she married somone else .
So have i gone wrong or am i going mad!!!!!!!!!!!
Once again thank you and i really do appreciate the help

Hello again and i'm sorry to ask but i think i have gone wrong with a name and now i am banging my head of the walls.
My Great Grandfather GEORGE JAMES HUBBARD born 1875 in Great Yarmouth Norfolk married(this is where i'm banging my head) a CATHERINE GOATE born in 1877 in Great Yarmouth but on some CENSUS it say her name as CATHERINE CARMICHAEL GOATE.
If i look up the marriage as Catherine Goate it say she married George Hubbard 1895 BUT if i put the full name in it say she married somone else .
So have i gone wrong or am i going mad!!!!!!!!!!!
Once again thank you and i really do appreciate the help
She could have married twice.

catherine c goate married william furniss....

Civil Registration event: Marriage

Name: GOATE, Catherine Carmichael

Registration District: Yarmouth

County: Norfolk

Year of Registration: 1896

Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun

Spouse's last name: Not available before 1912

Volume No: 4B

Page No: 49

MarriageFinder: Catherine Carmichael Goate married one of the following people

FURNISS, William Hothersal
CHRISTOPHERS, Francis Highton
JUDGE, Ellen

george may have married

Civil Registration event: Birth

Name: GOAT, Kate

Registration District: Woolwich

County: London

Year of Registration: 1877

Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun

Mother's Maiden Name: Not available before 1911 Q3

Volume No: 1D

Page No: 1006

the 1901 census gives georges wife as being born in woolwich,,,,so i think he married the kate goat b 1877 woolwich {birth reference given above}
however,,,she is proving difficult to find on the census,,,i think you need to order the marriage cert of george to find out her fathers name and occupation.:)

Hi ST

I think Caherine Carmichael is a red herring. There are two births recorded, Catherine Carmichael in Yarmouth and Catherine in Woolwich. There is a record of Catherine C 14, in 1891 and Catherine 4 in 1881 which looks good, but she was born in Yarmouth and I think wrong. Kate C. was married in 1896 after the birth of Samuel, whereas Kate was married 1895 before Samuels birth

I stumbled accross this 1881 census which I think is your catherine, born Woowich

RG11 1897 24 18

Name: Catherine Gant
[Catherine Goat]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William Gant
Mother's Name: Catherine Gant
Where born: Woolwich, Kent, England

Civil parish: Bungay St Mary
County/Island: Suffolk

Street Address: Priory Lane Cottage

Registration district: Wangford
Sub-registration district: Bungay

William Gant 45
Catherine Gant 26
Elizabeth Gant 8
Catherine Gant 4

I've not found them in 1891 yet.

dave

Sorry i have not got back sooner.
I have my granfathers Birth Cert and on that it does say
Catherine Hubbard(formely Goate) and fathers name George James Hubbard

I have now ordered the Marriage Cert between George and Catherine hoping thats throws something up

I did find on the Census 1881 a Catherine Goate age 4 born 1877 in Great Yarmouth(that seemed OK) her mother Esther Goate(formely Bowmaker) her father Thomas Goate(i have the marriage cert on these two)
BUT then
Census 1891 it say
Catherine Carmichael Goate age 14 born 1877 in Great Yarmouth(???)
her mother Esther Goate(formely Bowmaker) and her father Thomas Goate

So now its really thrown me i really can't do this one please help me this is sending me mad
Many thanks for all your kind help
JO

I did find on the Census 1881 a Catherine Goate age 4 born 1877 in Great Yarmouth(that seemed OK) her mother Esther Goate(formely Bowmaker) her father Thomas Goate(i have the marriage cert on these two)
BUT then
Census 1891 it say
Catherine Carmichael Goate age 14 born 1877 in Great Yarmouth(???)
her mother Esther Goate(formely Bowmaker) and her father Thomas Goate
JO
Hi Joanne I think these two census returns are not yours, They both have Catherine born in Great yarmouth and she married William Furniss..

On the other hand we also have a Catherine married to George, but she was born in Woolich

So far I have not found the Woolwich born Catherine before her marriage in 1891, but there is one in 1881 (details on my last post) called Gant born Woolwich living in Bungay Suffolk. This is of course less than 20 miles from Yarmouth. If you look at the return, this could easily have been Goat, and, someone has done a correction from Gant to Goat.

I think this is your Catherine

dave

If her name was "Gant" will that make the rest of my tree wrong?? and if so how do i go by changing it, as all her Children are under the of GOATE on their Birth Cert?? Sorry if i sound really thick but i have not been doing this long. I am slowly picking this up, and this will also make her marriage cert wrong as well?? so where do i start??
Many thanks
Joanne :0)
O yes i can not find the birth for Catherine Gant 1877 Woolwich Kent

Hi Joanne

No the transcriber has read it as Gant so it is on the census as that. BUT if you look at the actual record it could very well be Goat. If you cannot find the 1881 census record, I'll try and copy it and post it for you.

If you have sent for the cert I would just keep this on one side, and wait to see if the father was a William.
dave

Last edited:
Thank you i have just found that Census 1881 but can't find any others with her in it

I cant thank you enough for all the help you have given me :)

So if the marriage cert comes back with farther William, What happens then?

Nothing runs smooth in my family,

I did notice that Elizabeth Gant was born in Tipperary Clanmann Ireland, could Catherine Gant have been born over there as well? thats why i can't find a birth here

Hello again,,i think Dave has cracked it,,,well found Dave :)

When i saw the post about the William Gant and family..after looking at the full census,a little bell went off in my head,,,he married an Irish woman,,his first child was born Ireland,,his second in Woolwich,,,,classic army births !!

so looked for a service record for a william goat b 1836 bungay ,norfolk,,,and bingo !!

William Goat b c1835 bungay ,Norfolk joined the Royal Artillery in 1858.
he served at home 1858 to 1861
Canada 1861 to 1869
home 1869 to 1881 {service in Ireland counts as "home" service in those days}

he left the army in March,,just before the census was taken.

And the clincher,,,he married 4/4/1872 without permission.
His wife was Kate Coleman...the marriage took place in Athlone !!

So,,it looks like this is the correct Father of Catherine Goat b 1877 Woolwich.
Hopefully the marriage certificate you ordered will give her fathers name as William..
the Goat family {as Dave said} were wrongly transcribed on the 1881 census as Gant.:)

the family search site gives this info...

Elizabeth Goat... birth- 24th October 1873 Clonmel,Tipperary.
Father....William Goat
Mother...Catherine Coleman

so Elizabeth wasnt born in Clanmann,,,,{this was another mistranscription} she was born in Clonmel.

As you get used to researching the census,,you will find that sometimes, the person who wrote down the original info had terrible handwriting,,so the person who then had to try and decipher what was written when they transcribed the records for us to see,made mistakes.This causes the kind of problems that you have been experiencing.If you are looking for someone in a census and cant find them,,always search again but with the "varients" box ticked,,sometimes they are there,,but with slightly different spellings.

Last edited:
further digging reveals

a death of a william goate age 49 in 1885 Wangford,Suffolk.

a marriage of a Catherine Goate in 1886 Wangford,Suffolk to a Charles Nelson Tye.

1891 census for 6 row 30,Great Yarmouth

Charles Tye 36 b 1855 a hawker born Bungay,Suffolk.
Catherine Tye 38 b 1853 born ATHLONE
Herbert Tye 9 b 1882 born Bungay
William Tye 10 b 1881 born Bungay

just been looking for William in 1841 and 1851 census

on Ancestry the family are transcribed as Goch and Geat respectively
on Findmypast in 1841 they are Goah !!!

no wonder we sometimes have great difficulty finding our ancestors,,even the varient search didnt pick them up in 1841 on FMP.....Luckily Ancestry came up trumps :2fun:

WOW guys i can't thank you enough so

THANK YOU and THANK YOU
but WOW this has blown my head into space:D
Now i can't wait to get my marriage cert and then satrt changing my family tree to the right people.
I have nver meet people like you guys that are willing to help people like me who nows very very little about trees and i'm learning slowly
All the best
Jo