• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

SOUTHWELL & ROFF

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
From
Australia
'Argyle' Arrived 1 Apr 1839
ROFF Edward 38 Kent Labourer Methodist R&W Mr J Marshall £18
ROFF Sarah 36 Kent Servant Methodist - £18
James 9 Kent £10
Hannah 14 Kent £10
Mary 12 Kent £10
plus other children

NSW Marriage V1845345 30B/1845 CROXTON RICHARD - ROFFE MARY - CR= CofE Cobbitty, Narellan

NSW Marriage
I, Thomas Southwell do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Wesleyan Church [signed] Thomas Southwell
I, Mary Croxton do hereby declare that I am a Member of, or hold Communion with, the Wesleyan Church [signed] Mary Croxton
I, Benjamin Hurst, of Goulburn, Minister of the Wesleyan Church, do hereby certify that Thomas Southwell, of Ginindery and Mary Croxton, of Fish River were joined together in Wedlock by me on the Nineteenth day of April 1853, at Gunning, in the presence of James Roffe of the Fish River and Mary Ann Southwell of Ginindery.
Witnesses: James signed and Mary Ann by her mark. [signed] Benj. Hurst Minister

NSW Death 15139/1885 SOUTHWELL MARY - EDWARD - SARAH - GUNNING * 29 Apr

NSW Death 10436/1881 SOUTHWELL THOMAS - SAMUEL - ANN J - QUEANBEYAN * 31 May

I don't know how Mary Ann Southwell fits in.

I have nothing before 1839 for Roff /Roffe family and nothing before 1853 for Thomas Southwell.

Last edited:
Thomas Southwell
Spouse's Name Eliza Cooke
Marriage 1 May 1833
Event Place Ewhurst, Sussex, England
Microfilm Number 1067149
Batch M148041

Arrival abt 1838.

NSW Burial SOUTHWELL ELIZA 1333/1852 V18521333 38B AGE 42 - MJ= CofE Canberra; Lake George; Queanbeyan

Last edited:
NSW Burial V18521333 38B/1852 SOUTHWELL ELIZA AGE 42 MJ= CofE Canberra; Lake George; Queanbeyan

Page -
Burials in the Parish of Canberra in the County of Murray in the Year 1852
No. 32 Eliza Southwell Abode: Gininderra Creek When Died: 20th March 1852 When Buried: 23rd March 1852 Age: 42 years Ship's Name: - Quality or Profession: Wife of Thomas Southwell Farmer By whom the Ceremony was performed: T. H. Wilkinson

Edward Roffe born 1800 died 1887 Gunning NSW no parents given

Sarah Roffe died 1880 Gunning NSW parents John and May (Mary?)

Sarah Gibb baptised East Grinstead, Sussex 15 April 1803 parents John and Mary

Sarah Gibb married Edward Roffe East Grinstead 10 October 1823 - marriage on FreeReg

Possible baptism for Edward

Edward Roffe born 12 November 1799 baptised 8 December 1799 Countess of Huntingdon's Connection, Tunbridgr Wells Kent. (Tunbridge Wells about 5 miles south of Leigh) Parents James and Elizabeth

Thanks emeltee.

New South Wales Government Gazette (Sydney, NSW) - Fri 27 May 1887 [Issue No.309] Page 3592
In the Supreme Court of New South Wales. ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION.
In the Will of Edward Roffe, late of Jerrawa Creek, near Gunning, in the Colony of New South Wales, farmer, deceased. ... may be granted to Henry Saxby, of Gunning aforesaid, storekeeper, and William Richard Reynolds, of Petersham, ...

Back