• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Sperring living in Newark USA 1934

karen

I am hoping someone can help with tracing my great grandfather last heard of in Ryman St Newark in 1943.
He travelled to American under a ?assumed name. Last contact was son sending his birth certificate to ?allow American citizenship??
Arthur Sperring b24/03/1867 Crewkwerne Somerset.

karen

Sorry thought I had deleted this and posted correct details'
Last heard of in 1945 in Brooklyn Ryerman st.

This seems to be one of the family skeletons. i know my grandfather lent his father and brother the passage money which they repaid a dollar at a time. I also know his wife didnt know anything about it.. hence them travelling we think under a different name.

unfortunately you need a surname to search shipping records. I presume you know all about him before he emigrated. As Letitia is still in the UK in 1911, but Arthur and the majority of their children are not with her, did he go alone. If so did she go later. Who else went with Arthur
Was Letitia's maiden name Cresswell?

karen

unfortunately you need a surname to search shipping records. I presume you know all about him before he emigrated. As Letitia is still in the UK in 1911, but Arthur and the majority of their children are not with her, did he go alone. If so did she go later. Who else went with Arthur
Was Letitia's maiden name Cresswell?

My grandfather was arthur J born 1889, yes Cresswell is correct.
I was hoping he may appear on census records or if he applied for citizenship, which may be why his birth certificate was required in 1945???
Unfortunately I am the last generation working on snippets of memory.

hi Karen

would you confirm it is your great grandfather arthur serring born crewkerne in 1867 we are looking for.
do you know when he emigrated and who he went with

was it your grandfather 1889 bristol who lent his father the money, was it your g fathers brother who went with your gg father

dave

Arthur SPERRING

Date of departure: 27 July 1939

Port of departure: Southampton
Passenger destination: Quebec, Canada

Date of Birth: 1889 (calculated from age)

Ship: EMPRESS OF BRITAIN
Official Number: 162582
Master's name: C H Sapworth
Steamship Line: Canadian Pacific
Where bound:Quebec
Square feet: 13986
Registered tonnage: 22545
Passengers on voyage: 628

Arthur was not accompanied
So this is your grandfather b 1889, not your great grandfather!

dave

Last edited:

karen

hi Karen

would you confirm it is your great grandfather arthur serring born crewkerne in 1867 we are looking for.
do you know when he emigrated and who he went with

was it your grandfather 1889 bristol who lent his father the money, was it your g fathers brother who went with your gg father

dave
Yes Arthur Sperring b1867 As far as I know my gf Arthur john b1889 lent the money and we think one of ggd son's my gd's brother accompanied him travelling under an assumed name. My gf was in wales by now and severed all ties to the family in Somerset. I have contacted a ggdaughter of a sister of my gf who tells me his wife and remaining children had no idea where ggf 'disappeared to'.
My father b1927 remembered cards and money coming from america.
I know its a shot in the dark
Thanks

Last edited:

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Karen,

Do you know what happened to Arthur and Letitias son John.

There is a John Sperring born about 1895 Great Britian in 1940 USA. He with wife Anna and children are living Twelfth Street - New Yok, Kings, New York. His citzenship is naturalized. This Johns date of birth given 15 Oct 1894 on the social security death index. There is a birth registration for a John Sperring Oct/Nov/Dec 1894 Barton Regis Gloucestershire. They may be two different people though.

karen

Hi Karen,

Do you know what happened to Arthur and Letitias son John.

There is a John Sperring born about 1895 Great Britian in 1940 USA. He with wife Anna and children are living Twelfth Street - New Yok, Kings, New York. His citzenship is naturalized. This Johns date of birth given 15 Oct 1894 on the social security death index. There is a birth registration for a John Sperring Oct/Nov/Dec 1894 Barton Regis Gloucestershire. They may be two different people though.
Sound like they could be the same person. I guess I need to check passenger/immigration and see whether they were listed.
My grandfather's birth was Barton regis, but there were more Sperrings living in Crewkerne

Hi Karen
I am posting info for two reasons, firstly as you may not have had it, and secondly to try and give others a better understanding of the family and possible timings of the emigration etc,

Julie on 1901 census Arthur and Letitia have 5 daughters and two sons, Arthur 1889 and John 1895 b Bristol, I recon this is the John you have found, and if Arthur snr went with one of his sons, John looks like the only option.

dave

Last edited:

karen

I know Arthur b1889 left somerset fairly early in life, family legend was it was to escape his family and 'the bottle'- finding out recently that the major occupation for the family was at the mineral water bottling plant puts a slightly different slant on thing :D
He left to work on the roads which is why he ended up in wales as they laid a new rd from bristol to Wales. It stands a chance his brother went with him. Gf married a welsh girl and settled at the local pit. 1940 saw him move to Birmingham.