• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Stafford Gaol

Hi,

My gt gt gt gt Grandfather worked at Stafford Gaol between 1840 and 1885 as a Warden. Therefore I was wondering if anyone know if there was anywhere where you could look at any work records kept from this period, or were no records kept?

I have information from Census' that he resided at the Gaol with his family whilst working at the gaol, but would love to find information on his actual job at the gaol.

Many Thanks
Vicki

pejay

Valued Member
The only things I can think of to try are - local archives or stafford records office. Is the gaol still there? there must be records somewhere.

Thank you for your reply's:) I'm going to try contacting the records office at Stafford to see what Archives they might have and hopefully fingers crossed, they may have some useful information for me!

His name was John Stanton, he also had a brother Samuel Stanton that worked at the Gaol at the same time as him.

One of the stories that was passed down through his grandchildren was that he was present when Palmer the Poisoner was hung.

I've spotted that John Stanton before, but haven't found the connection with my family tree, still trying to work out who his parents were. It's strange that as one Stanton was working there and another Stanton was prisoned there, if they were related it must of caused some upset!

Website
www.duncanbourne.co.uk
I visited the William Salt library in Stafford this weekend and found out loads of stuff about my GGG Grandfather the afformentioned JOHN STANTON and his family! They have A J Stanley's unpublished history of the gaol. In it I discovered not only his work record, pay and promotions but those of his sister Mary and a link to her marriage to John Asbury, his brother Samuel and accounts of his road traffic accident in 1876, which lead to his early retirement and even a photograph of him shutting the gates to the prison hospital. Brilliant stuff!

The JOHN STANTON who was hung was a lot younger being born in abt. 1850, a very tragic tale, he stabbed his uncle after a disagreement in the Dog & Partridge on Back Walls South, off Greengate st. He was described as a cripple of small stature who came from a broken home. Initially no one could be found to hang him as he was the first Stafford man to be hanged in Stafford for 90 years! Ironically he stabbed his uncle on the 16th January 1875 at the same time that the other John Stanton was being promoted to Chief warder.
When he died in 1907 in his will he left £135 19s 4d to his youngest son Charles, who seems to have lived with him his entire life.
I have more info on him and his ancestors if anyone is interested.