• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Stalemate

Pat

I'm making slow progress in trying to find my half brother's relatives. I was told by my mother, a few years ago, that my father was not everything that I had been led to believe, i.e. in his name and the fact that he had a son by another woman other than my mother. I put off the task of looking for him until about a year ago when I found that my father (Guy Barrington Wood) and his son (Brian Anthony Barrington Wood) had both died, the former of a heart attack in 1977 and the latter of a failed heart transplant in 1992. I have found their last known addresses from the death certificates but can't get any further as letters bring no results as they remain unanswered. I have tracked my brother down to a person by the name of Christine Myrtle Wood who organised the Probate in 2004 although he died in 1992 but the letter was returned unanswered to me as 'gone away'. I tried writing to the owner of the land where she lived (a mobile home site) but that hasn't been answered. I would like to find his brothers, sisters, children or wife only to find out what his character was like and what his appearance was like etc. Similarly for my father. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I could take this further? My mother died a few months ago and had no information to give when alive as she had not heard of either of them for 60 years. I only found the information I have from the death certificate of my father and finding the name of the person who reported the death and also from his marriage certificate and from that guessing on the identity of my brother and getting birth and death certificates. From the latter I found out he was a stable owner in Dorking. (I tried contacting the address of the person who reported his death but a person replied saying he had moved away before she moved in.) Can anyone help or say where they think the next lead could be or where I could go as I can't trace further down my family tree until I have these last details? Thanks.:eek:

Hi Pat,

that is sure some opening thread :eek:

I see that you have Brians death cert, do you have a copy of his will? if not this can be obtained by you from York. It will cost you £5 but it might be worth looking into as it may give possible childrens names and addresses. (it may also give siblings names if there are any).

You can fill in this form online and then print it off and send it to them. :) (you can also zoom into the page so you can see what you are filling in/typing. If you double click on the surname field, you will get a cursor so you can begin typing) :)

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/pa1s_0405.pdf

Pat

Hi Darkcrystal,

Thanks for info. Brian's estate went to Probate as he didn't leave a will. I found the remaining relative who was granted administration of the estate and traced the address through that. I wrote to the address given but it was returned as 'gone away'. I went there personally to see what the situation was but it turned out to be a mobile home park which indicated that it really was a temporary residence.:mad: I wrote to the owner of the site to ask if she has infomation on previous residents but she hasn't replied. All letters are accompanied by S.A.E.s but none have responded.mad.

Pat,

If it were me I would look for Brians birth cert, it may hold the key. If anything else it will give you his mothers name, I would then look to see if Guy married this woman, and look for respective children born to this couple, (It will show MMN in the index).

As the owner of this land/caravan site is bieng cagey, It seems to me that she/they might be relatives and not wanting to give too much away.

You could also try looking in the Electoral Rolls and working backwards from the date that Guy/Brian died, this would then give you an idea as to how long he/they had lived at that residence. I would also look for Brians mums death, (presuming she has passed) and seeing if anything can be gleaned from that.

all thunked out at the moment but if I think of anything else I will post up :D