• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Standage

pattyg9

My gt, gt, grand father William Standage born 11 Sep 1797 in Sheffield England. Known address in England: Fenns ( Lincolnshire) England.. no date. Any info would be so helpful.
Thank You:)

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Patricia,

I assume that it is the English census information you require.

Did you get your gt gt grandfathers information from the IGI, as this is submitted information and there is no guarantee it is correct.

Do you have your gt gt grandmothers name and also any names of their children?.

pattyg9

Hi Patricia,

I assume that it is the English census information you require.

Did you get your gt gt grandfathers information from the IGI, as this is submitted information and there is no guarantee it is correct.

Do you have your gt gt grandmothers name and also any names of their children?.
Hello Julie,
Yes I believe it is the English census that I need. Some of the info that I have is from an distant cousin, altho we have yet to confirm that, and was done in the early 1980s for my sister in law and we have lost contact. So with this paper binder full of typed text I`m trying to fill in a few distant gaps. I do have gt gt grandmothers info and their children (and more in the US) but she was born in New York as was my gt grandfather so I did not include that info. Would it be useful in this case? I`m so new at this I don't know what you mean by 'IGI' :) Anyway, any help in acquiring the census would be enormously helpful. Thank You for your quick response.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Patricia,

Have you a date/year in which William arrived in the US, as I cant see him on the US census at the moment, though his pob of birth will be given as England.

There are some William Standage on the English census, but not knowing when he left England ,the ones I'm looking at may not be him and also he is not showing on the passenger lists (well not on the site I'm using.)

As its getting late will have a look tomorrow.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Found him on the US census wife named Polly.

The eldest child listed is aged 17 (in 1860) so he could have possibly come to the US before the 1841 census. If thats the case the 1841 census is the earliest one.

pattyg9

Thank you so much for your interest in this Julie.
Yes I`ve search the Latter Day Saints Family Search and he is there along with wife Polly which I already have.
The first date I have is in Plattsburge(Clinton)New York 1841 but their first born son Peter was born Nov. 08, 1840 so he must have come prior to 1841. I have no info as to what parish to contact in Sheffield England (YORKSHIRE?? anther assumption on my part) to even begin to purchase a search.
Since the last known address in England was Fenns ( Lincolnshire) England no date and from what I can determine Finns(Fins?) was a county, I have no idea who to contact for census. Talk about sitting between a rock and a hard place... I`ve come so far with this I stubbornly refusing to stop now. :) Anyway, Thank You again for your interest and responding to my post Julie. Your kindness is appreciated.

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Patricia,

Lincolnshire is a county. Wikipaedia gives an explanation of the Fens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fens

This is another site called Genuki which gives information of what resources are available.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/

Have you a LDS (Latter Day Saints) centre near you. Maybe worthwhile
to enquire if they have any micro fiches for the place and dates you have, which would be ordered and viewed at the local LDS for a fee.