• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Stephen Woolridge/Wooldridge

BethanyLeigh

From
United States
Hello, I am trying to work out a road block with Stephen Woolridge/Wooldridge my 5th great-grandfather.

On Ancestry the information I have is:
Born: somewhere around 1750 in North Lew, Devon, although I don't have any documented proof.
I do not know when or where he died or who his wife was. I believe that Jacob (1806-?) and Stephen Woolridge (1800-1880 my 4th great-grandfather) are at least two of his children. I also haven't found birth records for the two children.
I believe that William Wooldridge (1720-1773) and Martha Wonnacott (1718-1759) were his parents. William was born in Highampton, and died in North Lew; Martha was born in Beaworthy and died in North Lew.

I found two U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s saying that he arrived in Maryland in 1773. He could have been a convict, The source bibliography's state:
- COLDHAM, PETER WILSON. The Kings Passengers to Maryland and Virginia. Westminister, MD: Family Line Publications, 1997. 450p.
- COX, RICHARD J. "Maryland Runaway Convict Servants, 1745-1780." In National Genealogical Society Quarterly. Vol. 69:1 (Mar. 1981), pp. 51-58; vol. 69:2 (June 1981), pp. 125-132; vol. 69:3 (Sept. 1981), pp. 205-214; vol. 69:4 (Dec. 1981), pp. 293-300.

That is pretty much all I know. Any help would be appreciated!!

Looks like Martha was Williams 2nd wife the first being Elizabeth Bickle, she died in 1742...
William Woolridge
***Male
Spouse's NameElizabeth Bickle
Spouse's ***Female
Event TypeMarriage
Event Date4 May 1741
Event PlaceHighampton, Devon

Children of William and Martha, looks like the births for Northlew are missing....

William Woolridge
***Male
Spouse's NameMartha Wonacott
Spouse's ***Female
Event TypeMarriage
Event Date18 Apr 1743
Event PlaceHighampton

Last edited:
Back