• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

STEPHENS and HUGO, REDRUTH CORNWALL

Was that the James Hugo that Catherine married?

I have some spare time later today so i'm going to have another look for something.
No - Catherine Stephens married James V Hugo, a distant relative. Just to add to the confusion, her maternal uncle was also called James J Hugo and his son James is the cousin referred to in the article.

I've been checking out census records again and so many John Stephens's. Nothing that stands out on the girls neither after the dates you stated earlier.

Do you know when James Victor Hugo died?

edited to add

?? don't think its this one.
Deaths Dec 1928
HUGO James V aged 62 volume 5b page 117 district Exeter

There was a James Victor Hugo who died in 1923

Published: Friday 11 May 1923
Newspaper: Western Morning News
County: Devon, England

HUGO.—On May 10th, Wert End, Redruth., James Victor Hugo, auctioneer, aged 71 years.

Last edited:
I've been checking out census records again and so many John Stephens's. Nothing that stands out on the girls neither after the dates you stated earlier.

Do you know when James Victor Hugo died?

edited to add

?? don't think its this one.
Deaths Dec 1928
HUGO James V aged 62 volume 5b page 117 district Exeter

There was a James Victor Hugo who died in 1923

Published: Friday 11 May 1923
Newspaper: Western Morning News
County: Devon, England

HUGO.—On May 10th, Wert End, Redruth., James Victor Hugo, auctioneer, aged 71 years.
Yes, that's him. While he described himself as a widower in 1891, and soon after married his housekeeper, I haven't found a death record for his wife.

Yes, that's him. While he described himself as a widower in 1891, and soon after married his housekeeper, I haven't found a death record for his wife.

She may not have died, if the sisters left the country he might have said he was a widow so he could remarry. No proof needed then i guess.
Very strange how the girls seems to have disappeared like they have and why if Louisa was Caroline why the name change and all the alias names.
Intriguing family.

She may not have died, if the sisters left the country he might have said he was a widow so he could remarry. No proof needed then i guess.
Very strange how the girls seems to have disappeared like they have and why if Louisa was Caroline why the name change and all the alias names.
Intriguing family.
Yes, that's what I've started thinking. It is strange how all three seem to have disappeared (and their father, and Wlliam). The name changes might be about staying one step ahead of the law.

The name changes might be about staying one step ahead of the law.

That was something i thought of as well but can't find any newspaper articles saying they have been up to no good or the police were looking for them. I have a feeling there is a story behind it all tho.

That was something i thought of as well but can't find any newspaper articles saying they have been up to no good or the police were looking for them. I have a feeling there is a story behind it all tho.
One curious detail is that Louisa's place of origin is referred to as Hampshire (on my grandfather's birth certificate). It was also on her death certificate (under a different name) and on William Frederick Foster's birth certificate. There was of course a reference to a marriage in Southampton on my grandfather's birth certtificate, and to an older male child (not daughter).
1703147596658.png

I'll have a look around with the info from the birth cert and see if i can on the of chance find anything tho you have done your homework on your research :)

Does Louisa May's birth cert. state the same marriage date and includes the 1st issue as well?

Last edited:
I'll have a look around with the info from the birth cert and see if i can on the of chance find anything tho you have done your homework on your research :)

Does Louisa May's birth cert. state the same marriage date and includes the 1st issue as well?
Have never found Louisa May's birth record in Victoria, NSW or elsewhere, only a baptism in NSW. DNA suggests her father was a Londoner called Henry Edward Baker.

Catherine "Katie” Stephens, b. 1863, who married James Joseph Victor Hugo in 1883 and is last recorded at the death of her new born son Joseph in 1884.

Have you seen this? Nothing about a first husband IF it is the right Catherine.

Catherine Stephens
Born 20 May 1863 in Redruth, Cornwall, England
Daughter of John Stephens and Grace Hugo
[sibling(s) unknown]
Wife of Harry Whiffin Beamiss — married about Jan 1892 in Plymouth, Devon, England

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Stephens-4760

Last edited:
Back