• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Stories from the papers

duckweed

Loyal Member
Put in Bullivant into search engine at Newspaper Archives and came up with several hundred. I am allowed to have 15 credits free which in fact works out as 3 pages from the newspapers. So I picked 3 which looked interesting. 1 from Wickersley, 1 from Torksey and 1 from Leeds.

Wickersley one turned out to be my husbands 3xgreat grandfather who was severely beaten up by 2 brothers. No explanation given or what happened afterwards,

Torksey much more interesting. Husbands 4 x great grandfather on hearing local inn landlady had been robbed took off in pursuit on horseback tailing them till he could get the authorities to arrest them and his quick action resulted in one of the biggest gangs in the area being arrested and convicted, so heroic. This was no young man leaping on his horse. He was 50 at the time.

Leeds one a bit boring but apparently his catering was highly thought of.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I will be saving up for some more credits I think as there are more relatives mentioned in the newspaper archives. There appears to be bankruptcy proceedings and court cases to do with fraud. Not sure who was committing the fraud. It is bringing a whole new image of my husbands ancestors.

gibbo

Loyal Member
DW if you have names and rough dates i can always have a look for you. I know its not the same as browsing through the papers yourself but im more than happy to have a look.

duckweed

Loyal Member
Thanks at the moment I am just going through the browser. The marriage announcements are clear enough for me to read without getting the articles.

I have found out an enormous number of facts just from the abstracts. An awful lot of Bullivants ended up bankrupt but I have found googling the details that the details come up on free sites.

I have now acquired a whole lot of addresses etc that I hadn't got through the census returns. The advantage of such an unusual surname and it being mostly family when they mention Bullivants in Middlesbrough, Leeds, Rotherham or Sheffield.

So I am going to put in all the info I can get free and then narrow down the stories I can get off the site.

This is a site that is really worth looking at if you have a distinctive surname.

Its down to 2 newspapers the Leeds Mercury and the Sheffield Independent mostly.

duckweed

Loyal Member
For instance I have now found that John Bullivant was a decorative confectioner. As well as having a premises in Boar Lane in Leeds he ran an establishment actually within the Town Hall. All the major events in Leeds, weddings, balls etc had beautiful cakes etc from John Bullivant.

He was so famous that another member of the family ran a school for budding confectioners, selling the recipes and training them both in the confectionery and how to start up their business.

calliek

DW are you searching through the Find My past site or is there another option? I am considering purchasing some credits for the former- looks like there might be a few articles of interest on my Kilner clan

duckweed

Loyal Member
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

This is the site. If you register you get 15 credits worth free so in effect you can look at 3 stories and download them.

The search is free so you can get quite a lot of info without spending any money. After that there are several payment options.

You might be lucky and find the story you are looking for without spending any money at all.

duckweed

Loyal Member
These are the stories I am wondering about.
Sat 03 Nov 1849 , Sheffield Independent , William Bullivant Rotherham court.

“... Mr. Wm. Bullivant, ■ Mrs. Sarah Ann Bullivant, Miss Elizabeth Malone, | Mr. Charles Green, and Mrs. Ann Green. The cortege proceeded ... ”

16 Dec 1882 , Sheffield Independent

“... Mr. B. Bullivant, butcher, Broomspring lane, under false pretences. On the 30th of September the prisoner, who had gone into lodgings in Broomspring lane, went to ... ”

Sat 14 Oct 1876 , Sheffield Independent

Brown Bullivant, hairdresserr, of Bird- well Platts, Swinton. Mr. Whitfield prosecuting Mr. A. Robert defended the prisoner
Fri 24 Nov 1871 , Sheffield Independent

DISTRICT NEWS
“... to find Bullivant crushed and dead between them. The deceased was a short built man, and it is supposed that as ho was passing across the line one of the engines was ... ”
Wed 14 Apr 1886 , Sheffield Independent

... prisoner Bullivant : When you pushed the shop door open, did you not say Good morning'' to us ? . Witness : No . Did you ask as if we were drunk? — No. ...”
Fri 11 Nov 1864 , Sheffield Independent ,

“... Mr. F. Bullivant, butcher, Bow street.—Prosecutor said that shortly before twelve ° clock on Saturday night last, prisoner came into his shop, and, addressing a ... ”

“... Fred. Bullivant, Kilnhurst, with stealing a pocket handkerchief on the 9th of October. On the day in question, the two parties were in company witb some other ... ”
Sat 05 Nov 1859 , Sheffield Independent

THE FATAL BOAT
“... Mr. Bullivant, the secretary, show that the lads were properly trained- summer months in swimming.
Wed 15 Mar 1865 , Sheffield Independent

... from him Bullivant found a knife, identified as belonging to (he deceased, the unfortunate man's hat and coat, and a large pool of blood. There were marks of blood ... ”
Sat 24 Apr 1880 , Sheffield Independent

“... named Bullivant, who had died somewhat suddenly at Derby, was disinterred, foul play being suspected. The stomach and other portions of the body were duly submitted ... ”
Thu 06 Feb 1879 , Sheffield Independent

... William Bullivant blew some of his brains through the top of his head in a London hotel, but for all that he lingered on until Christmas Eve, when he turned the key ... ”

Sat 02 Jan 1892 , Leeds Times ,

“... names are Bullivant, Smith, and Taylor, were taken before the Magistrates at noon yesterday, and committed for trial,11 Nov 1864 , Leeds Mercury

“... ports. Mr. Bullivant undertook to get orders for a couple of iron ships at £;L a ton, but the pien would rot answer at once, and while they were shilly-shallyiurg, ... ”

Mon 10 Feb 1868 , Leeds Mercury

... Bottomley and Bullivant, were engaged in colouring the staircase walls of Winn's Hotel, near the Railway Station, when the plank on which they were standing gave way ... ”
Sat 09 May 1857 , Leeds Times ,

“... windows. Mr. Bullivant, 44, window, tastefully festooned and illuminated. . . , 1 Mr. Camcaden, 42, the following inscriptions painted on 1 calico, projecting from ... ”

Tue 18 Sep 1855 , Leeds Intelligencer ,

There are others but these are the main ones. There are also adverts for various Bullivant businesses. Seems Richard was at one time attempting to run a store like the TV story Paradise as was Charles Clegg Bullivant. Virtually every one ended up bankrupt at some time except Walter in Leamington Spa who had a considerable estate when he died.

Anyone got access to the stories I would be grateful. Otherwise I shall have to wait till I have paid a few bills before I access them. I am not sure all are my family branch. There is other Bullivants in Sheffield and Rotherham from Messingham Lincolnshire and another from Birmingham in Leeds. Some very definitely are.

duckweed

Loyal Member
The article that is the most relevant and sad is the father who murdered himself and his child. He is very definitely related. I thought so when I saw the names Green, Moxon, and Bullivant together. That must have been a shock to the family.

The Brown Bullivant story is confusing as the thief is said to be related and I haven't got that surname so will have to do some digging.

Not sure if the burgling Bullivants are related.

The woman Bullivant who died suddenly of foul play in Derby, I don't know but suspect not.

So thanks got a few more bits of info to add to Bullivant story.

duckweed

Loyal Member
I think the story of Thomas Whiting who in a fit of insanity killed his baby daughter is so unbelievable sad. He himself was only 32 and he died the next day from a fit.

I hadn't heard this story before and it involves our family though through marriage not direct line. The mother was a sister in law.

It shows it is worth looking in old papers. Not all stories are this sad but it is surprising what information comes up.

There are the saints who become church wardens etc.
The sinners who end up in court and the entrepreneurs who set up businesses and often end up bankrupt. The scholars who pass exams and win scholarships. And the unlucky who are involved in accidents.

So even if no one was ever famous in your family it doesn't mean they won't show up in the papers.

leefer

Loyal Member
The article that is the most relevant and sad is the father who murdered himself and his child. He is very definitely related. I thought so when I saw the names Green, Moxon, and Bullivant together. That must have been a shock to the family.

The Brown Bullivant story is confusing as the thief is said to be related and I haven't got that surname so will have to do some digging.

Not sure if the burgling Bullivants are related.

The woman Bullivant who died suddenly of foul play in Derby, I don't know but suspect not.

So thanks got a few more bits of info to add to Bullivant story.
The Burgling Bullivants:2fun:

stockpot

Valued Member
I am new to this forum so apologise if I am not doing things correctly. I am interested in the Bullivant family (research I am doing for a friend) and I have been trying to locate the newspaper report mentioned by Duckweed about Torksey/Bullivant where robbers are pursued on horseback by a 50 year old Bullivant. I have looked on the British Newspaper Archive and on Find My Past but can't find the article, can anyone give me the exact date and newspaper please ? John (Robinson) Bullivant, butcher of Torksey is my friend's 4 x gg father. Thanks

duckweed

Loyal Member
I can't find the exact reference except it was 28th February 1832 as far as I can work out. If you PM with your email address I can send you a copy. It only says Bullivant but it seems likely to be John as his Sons were not that old by then.