• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Stradford POWELL & Charlotte HAWTHORNE

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Bap V18411268 121A/1841 HAWTHORNE CHARLOTTE - - ** no parents

Reel 5046
Roman Catholic Baptisms Solemnized in the Parish of East Maitland in the County of Northumberland in the Year 1856
No.- When Baptised: ? [margin] August 1856 Aged 15 Years Charlotte Hawthorne - Abode: - Sponsor: Mary O'Neil By whom the Ceremony was performed: John Kenny R.C.C.

RC baptism and a dubious Presbyterian marriage and a late ? registration ???

Marriage 609/1861 POWELL STRAFFORD J - HAWTHORNE CHARLOTTE - SYDNEY ** 5 Sep 1861

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 11 September 1861 p.1
MARRIAGES
On the 4th of March, at Elizabeth-street, by the Rev. Dr. Fullerton, by special license, Stradford James Powell, of the Glebe, to Miss Charlotte Hawthorn, of this city.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
We've looked previously at Stadford and Charlotte and their missing deaths and their children. No need to go over that again. I just noticed the marriage date in the newspaper as I worked my way through the POWELLs. I checked the newspaper and it is clearly 4th of March.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Marriage 609/1861 POWELL STRAFFORD J - HAWTHORNE CHARLOTTE - SYDNEY ** 5 Sep 1861

The Sydney Morning Herald - Wednesday 11 September 1861 p.1
MARRIAGES
On the 4th of March, at Elizabeth-street, by the Rev. Dr. Fullerton, by special license, Stradford James Powell, of the Glebe, to Miss Charlotte Hawthorn, of this city.
Ok my theory is

Their first born arrived the end of Dec 1861.. 9 months after the supposedly March wedding. Wonder if they didnt marry until Sept 1861 but stated they married in March to save face of Charlotte been pregnant when they married.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Dunno gibbo.

NSW BMD is no help. It returns a dob for any day of the year:

2892/1861 POWELL ROBERT G - STRATFORD - CHARLOTTE - GLEBE ** just 1861 ?

2827/1863 POWELL (MALE) - STRATFORD - CHARLOTTE - GLEBE ** just 1863 ?

I have hundreds of such births.

Last edited:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Pity it's after 1855 otherwise we might have had baptisms to look up that recorded date of birth and date of baptism.

Is it worth $18? :biggrin: Special on until Xmas.

NSW BMD insist that if you want the date of the event you purchase a copy of the certificate even though the site allows you to enter a day and a month just as Qld. BMD has allowed for many years. They won't admit that the day and the month is now available. :rolleyes:

Last edited: