• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Stretton

jay

Valued Member

I am researching the name Stretton with links in both Derbyshire and Staffordshire. A cousin in Australia told me that the family motto was Dum Spiro Spero ( While I breathe I hope). I am wondering if there is a coat of arms.

Shandy

Hello Jay

I am also researching STRETTON. I am descended from James Stretton born in Church Greasley. His parents were Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Atkins). The family settled in the Stapenhill/Stanton area.

jay

Valued Member
Hello Jay

I am also researching STRETTON. I am descended from James Stretton born in Church Greasley. His parents were Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Atkins). The family settled in the Stapenhill/Stanton area.

Thank you Shandy.

Church Greasley, Stanton and Stepenhill are both named in copies of family wills which I have. My 2xgreat -grandfather,John Stretton married a Charlotte Hopley and farmed at Wichnor and Hilton. His parents were William Stretton, victualler of the Flitch of Bacon, who farmed at Grange Fields, and Julia Barker, his second wife. Does this help you?

Shandy

Thank you Shandy.

Church Greasley, Stanton and Stepenhill are both named in copies of family wills which I have. My 2xgreat -grandfather,John Stretton married a Charlotte Hopley and farmed at Wichnor and Hilton. His parents were William Stretton, victualler of the Flitch of Bacon, who farmed at Grange Fields, and Julia Barker, his second wife. Does this help you?
Thank you Jay. At the moment, these names do not fit into my research but I will put them in the 'check later' basket. I do have a John but he didn't marry Charlotte Hopley.

jay

Valued Member
Hello Shandy,
I have a Thomas in my tree. He was farming at Grangefields which belonged to my 3 x great - grandfather, Willian Stretton. There are a number of Stretton graves at Rolleston including at least one Thomas. Thomas as a christian name doesn't occur that often in my tree but numerous
Johns, Williams and Samuels. But the Stanton,Stapenhill link intrigues me. We certaimly had land that way, result I think of the enclosures in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Happy hunting.

jay

jay

Valued Member
http://www.rolleston.org.uk/memory/index.htm

Some good titbits on here from Stretton and Rolleston past.
A good family history contact on here as well.
Thank you Leefer for your advice. I shall enjoy reading the articles tonight after work. My 3x grt- grandfather was William Stretton victualler of the Flitch of bacon at Wichnor Bridges. He also had a farm at Grangefields. he is buried at St. Cuthbert's church in Doveridge. i think that he did very well out of the enclosure movement. Also land at Hilton farmed by his son John.

jay.

jay

Valued Member

jay

Valued Member
Hello Jay

Hello Shandy,
Apologies for not getting back to you. Were your Strettons far ming in the above area as these area are referred to in my 3xgrt-grandfather's will. My earliest Stretton date is 1748 and the will of a John Stretton yeoman. I am descended from William Stretton and Julia Barker who had a farm called Grangesfield and also land in Hilton Derbyshire.

JeffAlvey

I am wondering if there is a coat of arms.
According to Burke's General Armory there are three bearers of a Stretton coat.

One borne by a Colonel Sempronius Stretton of Lenton Priory in Nottingham (next to Derby).

All three coats are different (of course), being carried by the man - not the family.

Jeff