• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Success. Just need clarification from you as it is an old FH mystery.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi

I have just knocked down a brickwall and had a huge family history success.

My 3xgreat grandfather was William Thomas Coombs son of George and Sarah Coombs a coachman bap at St James Westminster, London on 4th March 1830.

In 1835 their eldest son Matthew George Coombs born 1813 got married and two of the witnesses was James and Sarah Bradford.

A Sarah Bradford is on the 1841 census in 11 Carburton Street, Marylebone with a son with matching name and age to William Coombs. No James anywhere.

Sarah also witnessed Matthew Coombs second wedding and registered his first wife's 1845 and his sons 1839 deaths. She gave her address on the death certs of his wife and child as 11 Carburton Street which ties in with the 1841 census.

Sarah was born about 1791 according to her 1851 death cert. She died in February that year.

A great stroke of luck came just now on the new A******y London Marriages and Banns. A James Bradford, widower and Sarah Coombs, widow had their banns called on the 14, 21 and 27th July 1834 at St Mary, St Marylebone, London. I cannot believe my luck.

I think I have finally solved the mystery wouldn't you?

Ben