• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Suicide shown on death cert

pramclub

Website
easter.byethost22.com
Recently I was given the info that someone in my tree committed suicide. I have their death index info, died September qtr 1926 in Southwark, London, England.

Will the death certificate show if this was a suicide? Or is there another way to find out? I don't really want to spend money on what is really only of passing interest, but I'm as nosey as the next genealogist!

Thanks.

jay

Valued Member
A death certificate should state the cause of death. If it was suicide then an inquest would have been held by the coroner. You may find a reference to this in the newspapers of the time.

Robesur

On a death certificate which I have dated 1879, the cause of death given on the certificate is 'Suicide being at the time in an unsound state of mind' and the informant was the coroner, who states that an inquest was held. So this certificate is less helpful to family historians than the average English death certificate.

I understand that few records of inquests survive, so newspaper report are your best bet.

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
One from my tree, so I was in luck finding something in the newspaper.

Deaths Mar 1871
BARROCLOUGH Jacob 62 Huddersfield 9a 239

1871 Death RD Huddersfield - Sub-district Almondbury - County York
No 375 Twenty third January 1871 Whitehead Lane, Primrose Hill, Almondbury - Jacob Barroclough - male - 62 years - Dyer Journeyman - Suicide by Hanging, unsound mind - Information received from William Barstow Deputy Coroner for Yorkshire Inquest Held Twenty fifth January 1871 - Twenty Eighth January 1871 - Walter E Capper Deputy Registrar

Burial 28 Jan 1871 Jacob BARROCLOUGH 62 Lockwood Emmanuel Church, Huddersfield

The Huddersfield Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser (West Yorkshire, England), Saturday, January 28, 1871; pg. 7; Issue 1085. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
PRIMROSE HILL
SUICIDE OF AN AGED MAN.–Jacob Barrowclough, weaver, 62 years of age, residing at Primrose Hill, committed suicide on Monday. The old man, it seems, left home in the afternoon, and, about five o’clock, a female named Martha Scott, found him suspended by a cord in an out-building behind his own house. She pulled him down, and called the assistance of John Jessop, but death had already taken place. An inquest was held, on Wednesday, at the house of John Hawkyard, Primrose Hill, before Mr. Barstow, deputy coroner, and the jury returned a verdict of “Temporary insanity”.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B FHUK General Chat Room 5
christineoa Certificates 4
L Genealogy Beginners Help 2