• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

Surrey Yeomanry - James A Robertson

Hi
I'm hoping that someone maybe able to help me with the following:

I'm currently researching James Anthony Robertson born in June 23rd, 1873 in Edinburgh, Scotland. There is a mention on his application for appointment to a commission in the Territorial Force (Army Form E 536) that he was at the time (11th May 1910) still serving as a Squadron Sergeant Major with the Surrey Yeomanry. I would like to know where I would go to obtain his attestation papers for the Surrey Yeomanry as it just may prove or disprove whether or not he was present or had been in the Boer War. I think that the Surrey Yeomanry was a Territorial Unit at the time.
With his military papers (which I acquired through the archives) as he was in the RASC 1st London Division, 3rd London Brigade Co, through World War 1 as a 2nd Lieutenant, Captain, Temporary Major, Major. His Service number is 9/ASC/904, could someone please let me know what the 9 stands for. Other entries that I have seen for other soldiers usually have a lettering there instead.
I look forward to any suggestions in due course.

Regards
Phil