• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Tangled trees

Ellie7

Loyal Member
My Paternal 3rd Great Grandfather was a McDonald, his wife was a Walker.
Daughter Elizabeth c1819 is my 2nd Great Grandmother.
Sister Agnes McDonald c1833 marries a John Simm.
Son James Simm marries into my Father in Laws side.
Gilbert McDonald c1821 changes his name to Walker after Father's death.
Daughter Agnes Walker marries James Nicol, his Mother is Sister to my Maternal great grandmother.
20c Walker(Gilbert Walker descendant) marries into the County Down Menagh family. Hugh Menagh 1891 marries Ellen Jane Stevenson 1896 County Down. She is my 1st Cousin 1 removed.Father is my Paternal Grandfather's brother. They moved to Ayrshire then New York.

Most of this takes place in the Parish of Stevenston, where in 1636 my Stevenson ancesters left for County Down.

Somewhere in there is my name.:)

Ellie

emeltee

Loyal Member
I've heard of, and even have them in my tree, cousins marrying cousins. I even have a gt gt grandfather who married his dead wife's sister when it was not legal to do so but that tangled web of yours takes the biscuit. How on earth do you work out family relationships?

Emeltee

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
Yes, at some point in 1600s my Hamilton family moved from Scotland to Co Down as part of the Montgomery migration. (Hugh Montgomery and James Hamilton)

Can't find any baptisms or burials for any of them in Ballynahinch First Presbyterian.

Ellie7

Loyal Member
I've heard of, and even have them in my tree, cousins marrying cousins. I even have a gt gt grandfather who married his dead wife's sister when it was not legal to do so but that tangled web of yours takes the biscuit. How on earth do you work out family relationships?

Emeltee
Elizabeth McDonald,s daughter names Gilbert Walker as Uncle in a poor relief Record.
This time I needed the 1841 Census as a back up.
John Mcdonald

Age70
Estimated Birth Year
abt 1771
GenderMale
Where born Ireland
Civil parish Beith
County Ayrshire
Address86 New Street
Name:
Gilbert Mcdonald
Estimated birth year:abt 1821
Where born:Ireland

My Elizabeth McDonald is already married ,and is at 52 New Street.
Scots Marriage Certs gives both sets of parents, without that i'd be lost.:)

Edit -So does death certs from 1855 onwards.

My Mother's name was Scott from Stevenston .Only 2 early families ,and they have a marriage. So all 19c Stevenston Scotts are my ancesters :)

Ellie

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellie7

Loyal Member
Yes, at some point in 1600s my Hamilton family moved from Scotland to Co Down as part of the Montgomery migration. (Hugh Montgomery and James Hamilton)

Can't find any baptisms or burials for any of them in Ballynahinch First Presbyterian.
STEVENSON family . came over from Ayrshire, Scotland with James Hamilton as part of the Ulster plantation in 1607

James Hamilton took his families from North Ayrshire, found in an old book online. Well known in Stevenston.

HAMILTON family came over from Ayrshire Scotland in 1607 as part of the Ulster Plantation

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015001151540;view=1up;seq=7

edit- the Hugh Montgomery Laird of Braidstane .Braidstane is in Beith. He had a fight with the Family in Semple ,Lochwinnoch and murdered one of them. He comes from the Earl of Eglinton in Kilwinning.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHam9

Loyal Member
Staff member
5 children born 1823 - 1831 to James Hamilton & Ellen Newell in Ballynahinch.

Can't find the marriage or their burials.

I know it's 1st Presbyterian but out of luck re baptisms.

1st Presbyterian Church, Ballynahinch
The Ordnance Survey Memoirs of 1836 describe it as a plain, slated, roughcast, rectangular building with 3 galleries; there were 100 regular attendants then when Rev. Shaw was the minister; he lived at The Spa, near Ballynahinch & was minister from 1831-1870.
Available records are baptisms 1841- 1859; marriages 1709-1834 (5 only)

My ancestor
HAMILTON Wm 21 DOW 1846 6058/159B
National Archives, Dublin R.I.C. Service Records 5271-10750 MFA 24/2
6000 Sept 1844 7000 May 1845 8000 Oct 1846
R.I.C. Service No 7533
Joined 9 Dec 1846 - Age 21 - 5' 11 1/2" - Co Down - P(resbyterian) - Rev J Shaw, Clerk - Farmer

I know why I'm 6' :)

I have a lot of info on the 5 but missing 5 baptisms and any records for their parents.

It will stay a brick wall.

Last edited:

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Try sifting through the amount of first cousins with the same name. And trying to work out which of them is your ancestor.