• All members must be aware of our current Family History UK Community Rules

Please read the following:

Read the current rules of the forum

Thank you

If you are a business -please contact us to advertise or be a sponsor on our FHUK Community Genealogy forums

The burden of proof.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I have come across a few new lines, and a few likely baptisms for my ancestors, and have added a note underneath saying "A Mary Osbourne was baptised in Dedham, Essex in 1756". Not added them to my tree yet. My Mary wed in 1779 in nearby Mannigtree, witness names do not ring a bell. She died in 1834 aged 78 so born c1756. Trouble is Osbourne is not a rare surname.

You look for further evidence but can be put off by a marriage 20 years later in the same or a nearby parish such as my Elizabeth Thrower born c1635. She wed in 1659 in Hoxne, Suffolk. A Giles Thrower wed in 1661 in Hoxne. 3 miles north, in Dickleburgh, Norfolk, it seems there was a Thrower family with names such as Giles Thrower and Elizabeth. An Eliz Thrower was baptised in 1635, died as a baby but another one was baptised in 1634, also in Dickleburgh, and seemed to survive. Could well be my one.

But I found an Eliz Thrower married in 1661 in Roydon, near Diss, about 4 miles from Dickleburgh. That is the moment when you think "Uh oh, could that be the one born 1634 in Dickleburgh, meaning my line is back to square one?? 2 more Eliz Thrower's were christened in the 1630s in Norfolk but both parishes, Marham and Great Bradenham were several miles from Roydon and Dickleburgh. I hope there is a parish near Roydon not yet indexed that has an Elizabeth Thrower baptised there in about 1640.

Again, Thrower surnamed people marrying in Hoxne in Suffolk, not necessarily related, even if first instincts say they are.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
horse FHUK Funny Forum 0
Alison English Genealogy Roots 22
Time-Tra4ler FHUK General Chat Room 2